4/Starfish...boy?

"What the--!" I yowled, my high note topping It-cat's seasoned screech. "Who do you think you are? What are you trying to do to me? Get out of here!"

"Clam up and calm down," It-cat roared.

But it wasn't It-cat doing the yelling, it was that other thing with a star-shaped body and a long rope twined around its fists. The fists were star-shaped, five graceful fingers, one broad flat palm. Kind of like a human hand, but not. 

My five fingers shaped the top of my wrist, leading to a forearm and arm and so on. 

This...thing's fingers curled all the way around the palm, with the wrist-arm extension popping out the back of the hand, where my knuckles would be. From there, it was a straight short throw to the torso, like it was stuck in a perpetual push-up. No wonder it clung to the glass and crawled, its whole upper body was like a suction cup.

I glanced at its legs. Long, squiggy toes followed the same pattern as the hands. The legs poked into the torso, the way a child might draw the human body before she learned about hip joints. At least it was wearing jeans. The knobby, hairless chest and stubby neck was upsetting enough without seeing a bare ass and, well, whatever junk it rocked out front.

I stared at the rope. "Hope you weren't trying to hang me with that thing. I'd have to hurt you."

"I was trying to rescue you. You don't make it easy."

It-cat meowed loudly. Rolled its eyes.

"Don't pull that bullshit," I scolded. "You can talk and you damn well know it." I gave those two plenty of space, tucking myself against the glass wall, hoping I wouldn't stick when the glitter on my shirt dried.

I decided to take charge. "I think introductions are in order. Over there's It-cat. I'm Naomi. You're Starfish-boy. If you have a better name, go ahead and share. But don't expect me to stay long enough to learn it. I'm someplace I never expected to be, and according to this orange chunk of flannel, I got here through the mirror in my bedroom and this--" I held up my hands. "Is time slime."

Starfish-boy stared at me. He looked pale, cold. Bloodless. A silvery glint caught my eye. I squinted--and, yep. His upper lip was pierced. With a fish hook. 

It-cat growled. Flicked its tail in that ill-tempered way tabbies have.

My stomach cramped. I bit back a string of giggles.

"Is there a mirror around here? Itty-kitty said I should leave the way I came. Happy to oblige and, hey! I'll send back some tuna and single malt when I get home. Fair payment," I crossed my fingers. I hated tuna and Scotch made me hork.

"You expect me to eat fish?" Starfish-boy looked pissed.

"Clams." I amended, examining his skin. The color of sand, palms lined with a coarse grit.

"Seafoam," he corrected, "And I'm hungry." He was looking at my hair when he said it.

 Which, under the best of circumstances, resembled a wad of tumbleweed, and, I'm guessing here, was not nearly as tasty as the white puke that washes up on the beach after a storm.

"Okaaaay," I pushed away from the wall. "Time to leave." I climbed onto the platform, tipped my head back. Glared up at the faces staring down at me. "No one wants me here as much as I want to go home, so soon as you bring me a mirror, I'll be gone."

Nothing happened.

It-cat growled and thumped its tail.

Starfish-boy snapped the rope tight between his hands. I swung around in time to feel coarse hemp circle my neck.

He crossed the rope in an X and pulled, cinching my airway.

I rolled off the platform and onto the floor. Kicking and making mewling cries that got It-cat all excited. That rag bag jumped onto my chest, its weight making it even harder to breathe.

Starfish-boy pulled harder, spitting frothy bubbles that smelled like salt water and stale farts.

I grabbed the rope, tried to ease it away from my neck. It gave an inch so I tried to slide it over It-cat's head. I heard its howl of rage, felt claws score my flesh.

Starfish-boy let go the rope. He dragged It-cat off of me, then pinned my shoulders with his knees, making it impossible to wriggle free. "If you'd just let me..."

I tried to scream, but all I could do was--

--giggle

Before I passed out.