38 - Confessions of a Teenage Drama King - pt.2

Chapter Thirteen continued...

Katie strains to look over at Kris's phone

Katie strains to look over at Kris's phone. He lifts the phone close to his face and squints his eyes. "Idk, paper? Who cares?"

Katie holds her hand out to Kris. He passes her the phone. She scrutinizes the photo.

"Money? Why would he have money out?" She asks and swipes to the next photo.

It's a similar photo. James has a red cup in his left hand and his right hand is balled in a fist. He's clutching money. His face is frozen mid-sentence. He's talking to a guy sitting on the arm of the couch. The guy's back is turned and his face is concealed

Katie goes to the next pictures but now the money is gone. She swipes to the next. James is no longer holding a cup.

Then the next photo, they're in a bro hug. One hand is balled into a fist and the other wrapped around the shoulders. The mystery guy's body conceals both of their hands.

Kris has gotten up from his seat and is hovering behind us. Katie swipes again. The guy is leaving the frame. He has a hand on James's shoulder, and we can see the side profile of his face.

James's hand is pressed to his chest. Clutched between his fingers hangs the corner of a clear plastic baggy. There are light-green pills inside it. I go cold and Katie dramatically gasps next to me.

"He wouldn't. It's probably ecstasy." Kris says in disbelief.

He has a valid point. I pull my phone out and start a google image search for Rohypnol or aka roofie. The results appear. I place the images on my phone next to the photo of James. Katie has zoomed in on the pills. They look disturbingly similar.

"You can barely see it. Go to the next photo." Kris suggests. She swipes. James's right hand is in the pocket of his trunks. Katie returns to the pictures of James with the pills.

"Guys. I don't know." Kris says in chagrin.

She turns to look up at him. "I didn't want to believe this any more than you. But look." She says and hands his phone back to him. He zooms in and out of the picture. "We can't ignore this. Especially, if he hurt Ari."

She looks at me with real concern. It's the first time I heard her call Aurora by her nickname. I kept having to remind myself they'd used to be best friends.

"Kris is right," I say. Katie looks at me in confusion. "It's not enough. People could say you Photoshopped this."

"We would never." Kris hisses.

"Let me see again," Katie asks. He hands her the phone. She swipes back and forward between them. Then she smiles. "Hold on a second."

She flips through her own phone then sets it next to Kris's. It's a picture of an enraged Dechlan. James is holding on to his brother. The frat guy is on the ground surrounded by broken pieces of a woods.