Five - Awareness!

~ Awareness! Awareness!!
As individuals, we can start a discussion.  We can be vocal and prevent its continuation within family and friends.  We can let women know exactly what is being done to their bodies.  Men should also be aware of the complications of FGM/C.  After all husbands have complained about their wives unresponsiveness to stimulation.  Besides that, many times patriarchs have been helpful in stopping traditional cuttings, since they have the last say and often remain unopposed.

As a nation, the government needs to improve healthcare and education.  Schools can have interactive classes on current events and awareness that will encourage critical thinking and produce confident leaders.  Skits, dramas, and plays can highlight the issue in an entertaining way.  In the seventies, my father did not allow any of my siblings born in Nigeria to get cut.  He consulted a doctor and then informed his mother and relatives that none of the traditional ectomies will take place.  With quality education, people will make well-informed decisions.  Then the next generation of leaders will be qualified to challenge and stop detrimental traditional practices.

As for the health sector, health workers should provide information for their patients.  Posters, commercials, billboards, and handouts need to emphasize the complications associated with unnecessary and unprofessional surgical procedures.  For instance, parents can be sensitized during antenatal visits and during postnatal briefings before being discharged from hospital.  Rural communities that lack primary healthcare clinics should get 'em built, so that the information is spread far and wide.

Health inspection at clinics and hospitals should be priority.  There needs to be restored faith in our healthcare centers.  It is crucial to prevent medical malpractice that will result in post-surgical infections, misdiagnosis, and wrong treatment.  Most importantly, nurses and doctors need to be trained to be considerate and compassionate towards their patients.  Many times the crass attitude of health workers discourage people from going to the hospital.  They need to become the better option as opposed to wanzamai and herbalists.  The government has to instill the culture of care in our healthcare. 

Because even when parents are informed by healthcare workers, pressure from extended family members might get to them.  To tackle this, religious scholars and community mosques should have enlightenment khutbahs (sermons).  At the same time politicians and traditional leaders can play a role in influencing public opinion and providing affordable healthcare.  In the event that none of the above convinces those hell-bent on risky practices, then the law should step in.  Incriminating such practices will deter people from taking part in it and it will give baby girls and women the protection they need.

Finally, the wanzam guys need a source of income other than mutilation.  By their appearance, their surroundings, and their shops, one can see they are in abject poverty.  The government can implement an economic empowerment scheme for the local barbers or sponsor skill acquisition programs for them.  If one wanzami becomes successful, hopefully others will follow suit.  Clearly what they're doing now is not working for them.  Unless there is an alternative occupation they can engage themselves in, it will be difficult to convince them to put the hooks and blades down.

Hello.  What's your name?  Let's stop female genital cutting in our communities.