Chapter XXXIII

Faith knew it was time. There was no going back now. A sudden overwhelming urge to stop it all and warn the royal family of their upcoming transformation plagued her, but she knew she shouldn't... couldn't. The drinks were already swarming their way into the hall, and Faith felt more and more like crying, as she watched the vampires start to crowd round and take a shot glass of dilitírio, the famous vivid blue liquid considered a vampire delicacy. She had to follow Nancy's direction and avoid her emotions. Everyone was carelessly laughing and making small talk amongst themselves, having no idea that they were about to be transformed back into humans.

Faith heard someone call her name, and turning around to face the room leading to the balcony, she saw a waitress with cold steely eyes staring at her grimly. With shaking hands, Faith stumbled closer to her, and thankfully everyone else was too busy talking to each other to notice where her attention laid. In the waitresses' hands was a tray of ten glasses of dilitírio. Smirking unkindly at Faith, she offered her the tray, raising an eyebrow as if daring her to refuse. Biting back tears, Faith shakily reached out for the tray, the drinks spilling slightly because of her nerves.

"Good luck and congratulations, you get a front row seat of their destruction." The waitress said in no more then a whisper.

"Faith? You're not a waitress my dear, who dumped this responsibility on you?" The King asked as he saw her tiptoeing over a moment later.

"Oh... I don't mind, the waitress was... busy."

"Thank you Faith." Katherine said as she took a drink. Faith was suddenly filled with panic – could the potion hurt her baby?

But she didn't have time to think about that before Katherine chucked the drink back.

"Kathy! You know you're supposed to wait until after the toast to drink it." Her mother reprimanded.

"What? I'm thirsty." She shrugged.

"Are you ok Faith? You look pale." John asked as he took a drink.

"F-fine." She murmured as she eyed Katherine cautiously.

She looked... fine - normal.

"Attention everyone! Thank you for joining us for our Annual Banquet Ball. We are honoured to have you here. Please also welcome the King and Queen of the Della Notte coven in Italy, and the King of the Crescent Circle coven from North England. We are ecstatic to receive you and your parties as guests. Please, everyone, raise your glasses of dilitírio and rejoice with us, toasting family and wellbeing." The King announced in his strong voice.

There was one glass left on the tray for Faith. Breathing shakily, she picked it up and drew it to her lips, the first tears slipping as in unison everyone else picked up their glasses and chugged the sweet, burning liquor back. Everyone broke into applause after, congratulating the unity in the room. If only humans followed in their footsteps. There seemed to be no animosity or dislike for anyone in the room, no matter if they were from different kingdoms and nationalities.

For the first few minutes everything seemed fine, until Katherine slipped a quiet 'oh' through her lips, and collapsed to her knees, Kalen there to catch her.

"Kathy! Kathy what's wrong?" He panicked, and Faith couldn't help but let out a sob. She had caused this.

Hearing there was something wrong with his sister, William detached himself from the current woman vying for his attention, and raced up the stairs to her. But she was just the beginning of the nightmare. Five more people then dropped to their knees, clutching their woozy heads, causing everyone to gasp in worry and shock. Worrisome murmurings blasted through the room, as it was as if a domino effect was switched on and one by one people were shutting down. It was a horrifying nightmare coming to life.