33 :: Interlude

**Author's Note: One of the new chapters inserted into the classic story.**

Her mind too full for sleep or stillness, Elizabeth awoke early the following morning and rose, determined to walk. The beautiful countryside appealed to her—it had a greater wildness than was found in Hertfordshire. Walking in unfamiliar terrain, Elizabeth quickly found a shallow stream and followed its path.

Alone, Elizabeth indulged herself in every question and thought regarding yesterday's events, unaware of the passage of time until the sound of a horse and its rider invaded her isolation. Lifting her gaze, she was startled to see the very object of her musings appear on horseback before her.

"Miss Bennet," he said with some surprise and she thought a little pleasure.

She smiled, warmth flushing her cheeks. "Mr. Darcy. Good morning, sir."

He dismounted quickly and drew near to her, the reins of his horse in his hands. "You're out very early."

"I might note the same of you, sir. Is it your habit to ride about so early in the morning?" she asked.

"Perhaps not so early, but it's a practice my father encouraged. It was his belief nothing can replace the personal attention of an owner to his land, and I find I'm of the same mind."

Astonished, Elizabeth looked about and exclaimed, "Have I come so far? Is this Pemberley?"

"Indeed," Darcy replied with a smile. "You've walked a fair distance this morning."

"I beg your pardon for trespassing. I'll turn back. Good day."

Darcy followed as she turned to return to the inn. "Allow me to walk with you."

Flushing a little, looking away in a moment of uncertainty, Elizabeth replied with some discomposure, "Of course."

They continued in silence for some time. It resembled their initial walk at Pemberley but the silence between them now was of a more comfortable nature than what it'd been. Elizabeth found she disliked the idea of disturbing this peace between them with chatter and remained silent as they walked.

It was Mr. Darcy who broke the silence in asking, "What do you think of Derbyshire, Miss Bennet?"

She replied with some general approbation of the countryside.

"And Pemberley?" Darcy asked. "What do you think of Pemberley?"

She said with a shy smile, "The grounds are beautiful. Truly magnificent. And the house possesses a true elegance and beauty, yet remains welcoming and inviting. No one who sees Pemberley could but approve of it."

His returning smile reminded her of former interchanges between them and caused her to blush. It deepened upon his compliment. "Your approval, however, is more difficult to obtain and therefore more worth acquiring."

"Mr. Darcy," she said faintly, "you're far too generous." Chastened since their meeting in Hunsford, she continued lightly, "That hardly bodes well for anyone desiring to obtain my good opinion. I have, you're aware, given my hearty approval in quite erroneous a fashion."

His answer was prompt and more kind than she deserved. "I don't imagine it due to want of understanding. And in cases of deliberate misdirection, I can't think it justified to hold you to account."

Elizabeth couldn't lift her eyes to his and colored deeply at his words. His kindness toward her humbled her and she hardly knew how to act or reply. In a fumbling manner she expressed the kindness and affability of his words before lapsing into silence. Overcome by emotion, unable to find the proper words to express them, Elizabeth couldn't look upon him and assiduously fixed her eyes on where she placed her feet. Had she but looked, she might've seen the unreserved tenderness and feeling in that gentleman's gaze as he looked upon his companion.