twenty six | first

"So, I'm not even allowed in the bath?"

"You can't even watch me change, Shepherd."

Derek sits inside the dimly lit bathroom, illuminated by a few of the candles towards the end of the tub. I sit in a vat of bubbles, relaxing with shut eyes.

"But do I have to sit with the dog?"

He gestures to the fully grown Saint Bernard perched beside him, a tentative glint in his chocolate brown eyes.

"He always sits beside me during my baths." I let the tips of my toes stick out from the surface of the water. "Scar keeps me company and makes sure I don't die."

"Isn't that my job now?" His finger traces circles across the knee of his pants.

"Well, you can watch over me at the hospital."

"And at your place?"

"Scar will."

He shakes his head in disbelief. "I can't believe I have to compete with a dog." But nonetheless, the look of amusement remains vibrant.

"And Meredith. Cristina, too."

"Am I even in the top five?"

". . .you're in the top ten for sure."

"Well, I'm glad to know I'm so high up on your list."

Drops of water from gentle splashes create dark spots on his shirt, prompting the two of us to chuckle in pure humour.

The next morning, news of George's father's admittance to the hospital glooms the shift ahead, our worries but hopes directed to the O'Malley family.

Par Bailey's assignments, Meredith and I get to spend time together in the pit.

"Mia Hanson, five-year-old female. Crush injury to the abdomen, blunt trauma to her head. Her B.P. is 90 over 60, and pulse is 110.

"How was she injured?"

"Backed over by her mom's S.U.V.."

A woman runs out from the back of the ambulance. "She's, uh. . .her blood type is A-negative, and she's allergic to penicillin and-and wheat." She stops at the entrance, tears streaking her cheeks. "I'm so sorry, Mia. I am so sorry, baby."

"Okay, Mrs. Hanson, we're going to take care of your daughter." Meredith assures while I start filling out the patient file.

But a blonde woman rushes up to us frantically.

"I'm Mrs. Hanson. Mia is my child. Anna is just the nanny who ran over my daughter."

She runs through the sliding doors, followed by the distraught nanny.

"Whoever said working the pit isn't interesting lied."

Inside the trauma room, Mrs. Hanson stands at the foot of the bed with Anna near the doorway when a man comes running in.

"What happened?"

"She ran over Mia in the driveway."

"She what?"

Anna shakes her head hysterically. "She wasn't supposed to be in the driveway. Mrs. Hanson told me to go get some milk, and I-I didn't see her."

"How do you not see a child standing in the driveway?"

Bailey tries to shush them while checking Mia's abdomen.

"Where were you?" His question is directed to Mrs. Hanson. "What were you doing that you couldn't watch Mia for five minutes?"