Chapter 12

Cedric was here

   Cedric was here.

It felt like I was meeting him all over again. I was nervous and I couldn't figure out what to wear—mostly because he wasn't telling me all of the details about this delivery job. I picked out some casual clothes I'd often wear to the grocery store, looking like a broke college student who lived on peanut butter. If it wasn't up to his standards, then next time he could buy me the clothes he'd like me to wear.

"You look . . ." Sonam swallowed the rest of her sentence and walked away smiling.

"What?"

She turned back around, eyeing me up and down. "You look like that girl that just got fucked so hard she needs to stay over his place for a couple of days to recover."

"Oh, just the look I was going for."

She giggled. "Have fun. If you decide to stay with him again, please give Dorian a call. Don't make him suffer again."

"I will."

Dorian was currently working, but he knew I was going out today. I wish I knew what the hell I was getting myself into, but Cedric hasn't spilled the details yet. And just in case, for my best-friend's sake, I took my charger and rolled it up into a ball, stuffing it into one of my pockets.

Cedric was right outside, sitting in his car looking hot and dangerous with his leather jacket and black sunglasses. He watched me walk up to his car and leaned forward to turn off the radio when I opened the side door.

My stomach felt strange when I sat next to him. I was nervous, excited, and happy all at once, like a witch's cauldron holding random crap to create something magical.

"Hey," he said, glancing at me as I stretched the seat belt over my chest and locked it in.

"Hey, you."

He looked like he wanted to say something more, something personal and possibly cringy, but he didn't. "Ready to go?"

"What are we doing? And where are we going?"

"First we have to drop off my car and collect the van," he said, starting up the car, letting it roar to life for a few seconds before driving us away from the parking lot. "Since you live far from the location, they won't start loading the van for two hours, which is fine since that's the time it will take to get there."

"Are we delivering at night?"

"Yeah, it will be night by the time we deliver the van."

"Can I know what we're delivering?"

"It's better if you don't know."

"Is it . . . drugs?" I asked under my breath, as if the car was infested by secret microphones set up by the FBI to catch us.

Cedric laughed as he turned the wheel with one hand, the other resting on the window. He was so laid back that I could hop on his lap and . . . "No, it's not drugs. We don't work with that."