17 | wonder

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

WONDER

( — stevie wonder; american singer, songwriter, musician and record producer. )

          SELINA IS BEGINNING TO THINK OF HERSELF AS AN ANOMALY

          Whereas most people who visit New York spend the entire time thinking they never want to leave the Big Apple, Selina just has to be different and has been counting down the days to return home ever since she got off that plane a la Rachel Green. Even Rachel herself, out of all people, seemed to have distorted priorities, in Selina's humble opinion, as she should definitely have moved away and dumped Ross on the spot.

          Selina can't possibly relate to that.

          After the absolutely hellish week she's had ever since coming to New York, seeing her family again has been a true blessing, one she didn't even realize she desperately needed. Even though she feels like things are still relatively shaky between all of them, especially between her and Jersey, it's the best relationship she's had with them in years, so she's thankful for the trip.

          The other positive point of it all is knowing she's helped people—after all, that was the reason why she started working on Lock'd in the first place. So, whatever she did with Michaela—you know, the whole driving her to the hospital as fast as humanly possible when she went into labor shortly after finishing their interview and not breaking any traffic laws—has helped her and Lincoln, so Selina is pretty happy with herself now that she knows they're spending every waking minute staring down lovingly at their newborn baby daughter.

          Selina hates to admit it, but she kind of agrees with Lennox. Elizabeth Tate-Calloway might be one of the most pretentious baby names she has ever heard, but, on the other hand, it truly is none of her business. It's not like she's calling Lincoln and Michaela pretentious or anything like that; it's just . . . the name.

          Now that the interview is done and over with, there's not much left for Selina to do in New York. The only reasons why she still hasn't bolted out and gone back home are simple: her family and Remus.

          Things are a lot easier said than done. Everything is cool with her family, but, to get to Remus, Selina has to get past several mini-bosses (i.e. the paparazzi, screaming fans who think they have a chance with him, security, Charles Ricci) and to defeat the Big Bad: Cory Rossi. She's been gracefully avoiding him everywhere she goes, just in case he still thinks her only goal in life is to break up the band (as if they needed her to make things even worse than they already are), but, in New York, she has to face him head-on.

          She doesn't even know why she's so scared of the guy. In her head, he's nothing but an obstacle in the way of getting what she wants—Remus—and she knows damn well Remus is tired of it as well. Cory's accusations are baseless, resting on prejudiced beliefs about what she does for a living, and she's over giving him this much power.