Epilogue

Epilogue

        “Gemma!”

            My mother wraps me in her arms for the first time in years. She feels like a different person, like I don’t know her. And really, I don’t.

            She left me and everything went out of control. Now that she’s back, does that mean everything will get better?

            “Oh, Gemma, sweetie,” she cries, hugging me tightly. She pets my hair and doesn’t let go of me for a long time. “I’m so sorry for everything; for leaving. We’re going to make things better, alright? I’m going to help you get through this.”

            No other Safe Haven kids are with their parents in the parking lot. I’m the only one. Michelle thought it would be best if we got everything settled just before everyone would be going home. However on the edge of the parking lot stands Rhyson with Ember and Melody.

            It turns out that my dad refuses to take care of me anymore. Truthfully, it’s Kirsten who’s getting him to kick me out, but I’m so fed up that I don’t care. My dad knew and so did Kirsten that I was more than a little bit messed up. But they never did anything about it; instead they dumped me on Michelle. Even if they had the slightest intention of getting me help, I still don’t think they went about it the right way.

            Instead I’m staying with my mom. She says she’s renting a condo in town temporarily until things get better. I don’t know if they will, but I guess there’s only one way to find out.

            “Get better, Gemma,” Melody whispers as she hugs me. Though we were never that close, I’m sad that I probably won’t see her ever again. “Keep in touch.”

            I promise her I will but don’t think I’ll keep it. Next is Ember, who stands awkwardly, scratching her arm in attempt to look busy. She’s completely sober, which I’m thankful for. But things between us will never be the same.

            “I hope things will be better,” I tell her honestly. “I’ll miss you.” I wrap her in my arms and she starts to cry, her body shaking against mine.

            “I’m so sorry, Gemma.”

            “I’m going to get help, Ember. I really want you to the same.” I let go of her and she nods, wiping her eyes. Melody wraps her in her arms and they walk a small distance away, leaving me alone with Rhyson.

            “I’m only a short drive away,” Rhyson mumbles. I nod and see his eyes are glassy. He quickly pulls me into his arms and hugs me tighter than he ever has before. “I love you, Gemma. Despite fate’s attempt at ripping us apart, I love you.”

            “I love you too,” I murmur into his chest.

            My mother loads my things into her small, blue car and I climb into the passenger seat. Michelle watches from outside her office and Rhyson, Melody and Ember still stand in the parking lot, watching.

            “Ready?” Mom asks, still crying. She’s smiling too, but I don’t know how I feel about her so I don’t return it.

            “No, but I don’t think I’ll ever be.”

            “I’m glad you made friends,” she says as we start to pull out of the parking lot. I watch my friend’s wave and I give a small one back. “They seem like they’re really there for you.”

            “Yeah, but you can’t trust them.”

            My mom gives me a shocked look and I laugh, but there’s no humour to it. In a camp full of delinquents, you really can’t trust anyone.

            You can’t even trust yourself.

            I run my thumb over the scar from the accident. Safe Haven helped me, even if it was only a little. But not everyone is perfect and I just as might be the farthest thing from it. Turning around in my seat, I watch my friend’s fade in the distance along with the camp.

            I still do have a lot of problems that need work. I don’t know what my mom’s planning on doing to get me help, but I know I want it. Will she send me to an institution? A hospital? A camp?

            Will she send me back to Haven?

            I steal once last glance at the camp. Turning around, I smile to myself

            Who knows? Maybe I’ll be back next summer.

The End