Behind the Lights- A One Direction Fan-Fiction

Prologue 

I threw my sweatshirt on and grabbed my backpack off the desk. The clock read 9:20 so I still had 20 minutes to make it to Frank's before I was marked late for the third time that week. I opened my window and stepped out carefully, trying not to make to much noise because my parents were just in the room next door. I hopped down onto the grass and ran to the other side of the road.

I walked down the street and into town. Hopewell, Michigan wasn't the best town for a teenage girl to walk around alone at night, but if you knew what you were doing and which roads to take you were almost sworn to be fine.

Finally I saw the familiar, colorful lights of the club and opened the doors. Almost immediately the thick smell of alcohol fill my nose. I pushed past week crowds of people to the back where I found the owner of the club, Frank.

"You're late again," he said while I hung up my belongings on my 'hook'. Yes, this place was so run-down we had 'hooks'. 

"I know," I said taking off my sweatshirt, "I couldn't get out any earlier. My parents were downstairs and you know I can't sneak out when they're downstairs."

"Try not to be late again," he sighed, hanging up the lineup for the night. "Or I'll have to fire you," he added.

"You know you wouldn't do that, Frank," I said, batting my eyelashes. 

"And you're lucky," he said walking away.

 I chuckled and looked through my bag, pulling out my make-up bag and my heels. I moved over to the mirror and shuffled through the bag, hoping I remembered to put my glitter eyeliner back in last week. Once I was finished with my make-up I took a quick look in the mirror.

It was a shame my parents didn't know about this side of me- not many people do. It was just my best friend and my aunt, who lived across the country, that new about my late nights and my sneaky side. Once you get past the fact that I was sneaking out, it really wasn't all that bad. I was just doing what I love. I was meant to be on stage. I was born to be on stage.

"Holmes, you're on in two!" a raspy voice called from behind the curtains, followed by a short coughing spree.

Even if I had to start out in this dump.

I pushed myself off of my seat and walked behind the curtain, where I'm given my mic and just a few pointers, but of course I ignore them because most of them are coming from drunken people who never made it anywhere in life. I nod my head, pretending to listen before someone shoe's my out onto the black stage.

I make my way to the center and the music starts to play softly from the other side of the room. Chatter filled the air as I sat down on my stool.

Sweet love, sweet love

Trapped in your love

I’ve opened up, unsure I can trust

My heart and I were buried in dust

Free me, free us

You’re all I need when I’m holding you tight. If you walk away I will suffer tonight

The lights slowly fade on and I can just barely make out the crowd. People are starting to listen now, but most are still involved in their conversations, not caring about the silly girl on stage.

I found a man I can trust

And boy, I believe in us

I am terrified to love for the first time