1 // 04

1 // 04

Isaac's emotions fluctuated like the tide; from despair to hope, and back to despair once more. He managed to avoid Jamie throughout the day, inwardly thanking God that he hadn't worn his binder, instead opting for a tight t-shirt and a loose hoodie. With the way he couldn't stop breathing like he'd run a marathon each time he saw the other boy, he'd probably have passed out by now if he'd worn it.

Each time Jamie met his eyes, his breath caught and his heart skipped, every inch of him aching with a longing so deep it left him feeling scraped raw.

But then he'd remember the Mark, and it'd take every ounce of control – what felt like every single muscle he owned – to look away from the boy he loved, feeling like his soul was being ripped to shreds.

Jamie didn't act like anything was different, smiling tentatively each time they managed to lock eyes, and it filled Isaac with simultaneous hope and dread.

Go to him, his heart whispered.

You'll only break your heart, his mind warned.

The indecision was tearing him apart.

At lunch time, he escaped to one of the upstairs bathrooms, locking himself in a stall and silently hyperventilating. The easy solution would be to just ask, but the thought filled his throat with bile, had him pressing his fists against his eyes to stop the helpless frustrated tears.

His phone vibrated in his pocket, sending his pounding pulse into overdrive.

Are you ignoring me?

A sad emoji ended the text, and Isaac felt his chest constrict painfully. His hands shook. He didn't know how to respond.

Yes?

No?

You won't understand?

The bathroom door suddenly came open. Isaac held his breath.

"I know you're in here, Isaac," Jamie whispered, sounding vulnerable. "Can we talk? What's going on?"

Isaac breathed harshly, nails digging into his jeans, and then he was abruptly flinging the stall door open, stalking in the direction of the other boy.

"What –?" Jamie began as he was unceremoniously slammed into the wall.

Isaac didn't give him time to breathe, grabbing his arm and ripping open his cuff. The world tilted on its axis.

" –Isaac? Isaac!"

Jamie's voice sounded like it was underwater. Isaac couldn't stop staring at the Mark, which was small, and compact and pretty and fucking perfect.

And without a hint of colour.

Isaac tore away from Jamie's questing grip, shoving him away from the door so he could run.

"Isaac!" Jamie screamed, his voice high with panic, but Isaac didn't turn around.

He ran, and then kept running, and didn't stop until he had no strength left in him to run.

e n d  o f  p a r t  o n e