Fight

He had to fight. Fight for his life, for his pack, for his mate.

His heart hammered through his chest - through his skull. That rapid thud, thud, thud, that reminded him that he had to keep fighting.

Claws dragged through his flesh, he ignored the bite of pain. He was in danger - she was in danger - he had to fight and escape, he had to find his mate.

His wolf roared in his ears as Logan fought for his life.

*

"Callie, you ok?"

The young she-wolf jumped as J walked up beside her and leant against the wooden fence lining the deck.

Callie nodded distractedly, and tilted her head back up to the starry night.

J sighed and surveyed the open land in front of them. There wasn't much to the black oath territory at the moment. A couple of buildings and a fire pit in the centre.

They'd build more, she'd told Logan earlier, they'd build more houses so that each of the pack could have their own house. Then, maybe they'd look to expand the pack.

They had plans. They had a future.

J twisted her head to watch Callie. The she-wolf had showered and had pulled her long hair up into a pony tail. Now that J could actually see the angles of her face, without the curtain of hair to hide behind, it was obvious Callie wasn't 16 or 17.

No, she wasn't as young as J had assumed, not physically, yet she was young in her understanding. She'd spent so long on her own, that she hadn't got used to people - or the world. She understood survival. She understood her wolf. Test her on her capital cities and she'd struggle.

But there was a strength in her, one that J had seen from the outset. One that so many people seemed to overlook. Even wolfless, J had sensed the power leashed beneath Callie's skin. The she-wolf was different, powerful.

J had assumed it was because she was born and raised in the wild, but now it turned out that Callie once belonged in a pack. A pack that now might just contain her moonmate. A pack that she'd seemed so fearful of.

J sighed heavily and looked away. Callie gave a small sigh of relief.

"So..." J started, before realising she didn't know how to finish.

Callie sighed. "So..." she echoed. The she-wolf pulled her cardigan tighter around her body, shivering in the growing wind.

Behind them, they could hear the rest of the pack busying themselves with dinner. Trevor had gone to get basic supplies but returned home with a car full of food to last them months.

There was something pleasant, calming even, hearing the light chatter of her pack as they prepared the food.

J stood up and stretched her arms over her head, cricking her neck. "If you want to find your moonmate, I can have Will locate him."

"No." Callie snapped, "I mean, no...thank you." she muttered, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "I-I don't remember the pack...not really...but my wolf- I've never known her get like that before. She was petrified."

Callie's words faded into the silence of the night, J didn't want to speak and had a feeling that Callie didn't need her to. She just needed to say the words. To have them be heard.

"I don't know why she feared that pack, but with a reaction like that...I don't care if that wolf is my moonmate or not, I don't want anything to do with him."

J nodded silently.

"At least now I can drink right? Now that I know I'm old enough."

J chuckled at that.