4

It wasn't the alarm clock that woke Nate Ryan from his slumber as he had hoped, but the sound of a wailing child. His eyes slowly crept open as he glared at the monitor sitting on the nightstand. The display showing a bar rising and lowering as the child on the other end screamed for attention. He craned his neck to check the clock hiding behind the monitor.

2:15 AM.

He had only gone to sleep 90 minutes prior, and he felt it. He rolled onto his back, rubbing his eyes. He turned his head to see the vision of beauty lying next to him. Her cherubic face looked more angelic as she pretended to sleep through the wails, knowing full well her husband was awake next to her. A soft smile sat on her lips. Nate reached over and brushed a lock of brown hair out of her face with a smile.

"You know what she wants, right?" Stephanie Ryan said softly.

"Yeah, I know," Nate said sleepily. He yawned and wrapped his arm over his eyes to block the minimal light coming through. "And it's your turn."

Stephanie shook her head. "It was my turn last night."

"I go back to work in the morning," Nate said. It had been his last day of paternity leave, granted by the Salem Police Department. And while Stephanie still had more time off, Nate had to return to his duties. He had enjoyed spending time at home with his family, but he knew he was itching to return to work.

Stephanie reached up and placed a hand on his shoulder. "All the more reason for me to get more sleep."

Nate smiled. "Oh, is that so?"

Stephanie nodded her head and nuzzled his arm. Nate shook his head incredulously and sat up, swinging his legs over the side of the bed. Stephanie pulled the blankets up to her chin as soon as Nate was free of them.

"I love you," She said sweetly. Nate stood and turned to look at her, giving her a smile he knew she couldn't see.

"I love you too," Nate said with playful sarcasm in his voice as he stepped out of the room. It wasn't a long walk down to his daughter's nursery. He could hear the wailing coming from both directions as he walked down the hall, both equally muffled. But as soon as Nate opened the door and flicked on the light, the wailing stopped.

Nate walked over to the crib against the far wall where Cassandra Ryan was supposed to be sleeping. Nate leaned against the bars, looking down at the infant lying on the cushioned surface. Baby Blue eyes looked up at him, the tears glistening in the soft light in the room.

"You think you're clever," Nate said.

Cassie smiled. He knew in the back of his mind that it was only because it was the sound of her father's voice and the loving smile that lingered on his lips. But he knew his daughter's smile was a sign of worse trickery to come as she got older. Nate shook his head, reached into the crib and took his daughter in his arms. He crossed to the antique rocking chair where he had spent every night for a month rocking his daughter back to sleep, and once or twice had fallen asleep himself. Stephanie had the photographic evidence to prove it no matter how much he denied it.

Nate rocked the chair, holding Cassie close to his chest as they looked at each other. He hummed a tune to himself, waiting for her to fall back to sleep. It didn't take long before her eyes started to close her breathing evened. He continued to rock in the chair for a few moments before he noticed Stephanie standing in the doorway.

Nate chuckled softly. "I thought you needed sleep?"

Stephanie held a cell phone up. "Apparently someone didn't agree with me."

"I didn't hear it."

"You were distracted."

"The Department?"

Stephanie nodded. "Looks like you're going back to work early."

Nate groaned. "They couldn't give me a few hours."

Stephanie laughed softly. "You were the one who used to say that crime doesn't wait."

Nate rolled his eyes. "Yeah, but that was when I was getting a full night's rest."

He stood carefully, cradling Cassie in his arms. He crossed the room and Stephanie took the infant from him. Nate took the cell phone from her, quickly placing a kiss on her forehead.

"Don't wait up," He whispered as he stepped around her and into the hall. He unlocked the cell phone and padded back to his bedroom, but before he crossed the threshold, he heard Cassie wail again. Nate laughed loud enough for Stephanie to hear him and pumped his fist victoriously into the air.