A Mother's Love

~~O~~

This day marked Mirien's first year.

The young queen of Eryn Lasgalen looked up from the book she was reading as the one-year-old Mirien approached her desk. She had been sitting at the couch, putting her toys back in the box and had come over to her mother when she finished.

"Are you done playing, my dear?"

"Yes, Nana."

Out of the corner of her eye, she watched the little girl tidied the space she had used. Just as she finished, she seemed to have an idea.

"Nana, can we go to the garden?"

Mirialia could not help but smile. She closed the book she had been reading and stood up. Once next to Mirien, she offered her hand to the girl, who in turn, slipped her tiny hand into her bigger one. Mirialia chuckled. Her heart would never stop melting at the simple yet heartwarming gesture.

Hand in hand, the mother and her daughter walked to a secluded area of Thranduil's garden. Mirialia sat down on the bench in front of the multi-colored flowers, patiently waiting for her daughter to climb into her lap.

When Mirien was settled in her usual spot, leaning against her mother with her head resting against her chest, Mirialia's arms circled the small body of her child.

Immediately the two recognized the music that was being played by elf maidens and their sweet voices while they sang at the courtyard. All along the song they just enjoyed the soft music, as well as the comfort they found in each other.

Those were their quiet times.

Moments they spent together that could not be taken away from them. Moments that allowed the queen to escape from the heaviness of her duties. She could think about her very own little miracle which she could never be thankful enough for. So when Mirien and her were sitting at her husband's private garden, secluded from the world, all she allowed herself to think of was the little girl which filled her life with a happiness she had never felt before.

Her life as a queen and being married to Thranduil, she still could not believe that a new light emerged from within her. Feeling the simple touch of her daughter's hand in hers, the soft weight of the girl in her lap, the sensation of having the little body in the circle of her arms, protected from the world's dangers with which she had too much experience, and the sweet smell of her blond hair. She sometimes wished her hair was blond for the sole reason that her daughter would then look exactly just like her when she grows up.

Never had she thought she would once have the chance to be called 'mother'. And the way Mirien said it every single time, whether when she wanted something her mother was not ready to grant or when she crawled into her bed at night, had Mirialia's heart swell. And at that moment, she didn't really have a good enough reason to leave those short lived instants of peace.

When a butterfly flew in front of them, she felt the girl's little hands slip beneath hers and tried to touch it. She laughed and looked down at the blond head, kissing it once. They both loved these moments which were just for the two of them and she would not trade them for the world. Her daughter giggled and Mirialia's smile only widened at the sound. Mirien clasped her hand with hers.

"You have big hands, Nana."

"You will have big hands too, one day."

"Really?"

"Really."

"Like yours?"

"Yes, like mine." She hinted.

Again, the queen let out a soft laugh, following their hands' every move; amazed by the fact that this was her daughter's hands she was covering as if protecting and guiding. She kissed her daughter's head once again, letting her lips linger on the soft hair. Mirien slipped from her lap so she could sit beside her mother. Mirialia then looked down into her beautiful blue eyes.

"I love you, Nana." Mirien said.

She smiled widely and gently tightened an arm around her daughter's waist.

"I love you too, darling." She whispered into the girl's hair.

Soon, the young queen felt Mirien start squirming and smile, knowing their mother-daughter time was over. Oh well, her girl never had been one for hugs and kisses. But then again, neither had she. If only she had known when she was a girl, the pleasure that came from just holding her child, she wished she might have spent more time in her mother's arms.

But she didn't complain; watching her daughter being so alive and enjoying all the moments she could have with her was worth so much more than the centuries of solitude.

~~O~~

*The mother and child bond. I never had that kind of bond. My mother passed away when I was so little, I never had the chance to know her more.

Hope you liked it!

And tell your mothers you love them.