six

s i x

JEFFRIES GAVE HIS whistle a sharp blow. "Alright, team, gather round."

The swimmers milling about the poolside as they waited for practice to start, chattering to each other and stretching out, filed over to where Mr Jeffries was waiting with his clipboard and trusty whistle. Oliver joined the others and glanced in Reed's direction, which was becoming an unconscious habit of his. Things had been considerably better between them this past week, meaning Reed was willing to speak to him and wasn't being hostile anymore. But that didn't mean everything was back to normal. Reed avoided being left alone with Oliver and things still felt a little tense, a little like everything was still a test Reed was waiting for Oliver to fail.

Well, that was okay. Baby steps. Oliver didn't plan on failing.

"As you all know, we have our first meet coming up next Tuesday," Jeffries said. "It's not a particularly important one but it is the first one of the season, so it would be nice if some of you could place. You all know what that means."

Oliver didn't know what that meant, but evidently the others did judging from the groans and sighs in response. "What does that mean?" Oliver asked quietly, addressing Bailey, who happened to be standing next to him.

"Mr Jeffries is doing times again," she replied. "Which, for most people, means rankings and competition. That always makes practice more stressful."

"Not that you'd have to worry," Charlie chipped in. "Considering how fast you are in the water, Oli."

Oliver blew out a breath. "Please don't — "

" — call you Oli, yeah, yeah," Charlie said airily. "But it's so much more interesting than boring old Oliver! Adds a bit of spice, bit of pizzazz, don't you think?"

Oliver opened to mouth to clarify no, he didn't think so and also that he didn't think he'd ever heard the word pizzazz come out of anyone's mouth before, but Reed beat him to it. "You're right, Charlie," he said, his voice entirely serious but the gleam in his eyes anything but. "I completely agree."

Charlie looked surprised. "You do?"

"Sure." Reed shrugged, all unconcerned, but his lips were curling up into a familiar smirk. "I've always thought he suited Oli better."

Oliver raised an eyebrow at him. "Really?"

"Really," Reed drawled.

"As much as I appreciate your opinions, I'm going to have to politely disagree," Oliver said. "I'll stick with Oliver."

"Whatever you say, Oli," Charlie said cheerfully, clapping him on the shoulder as he passed by.

Kessy snorted. "Tough break, mate. When Charlie decides something, he's probably never going to change his mind about it. Especially when it involves being annoying."

The others followed Charlie to take their places as Mr Jeffries started calling people up to take their positions at the lanes but Oliver lingered behind, falling in step next to Reed. He decided to take it as a success when Reed didn't tell him to fuck off.

"You'll regret that," Oliver said casually.

"Yeah?" Reed looked amused. "Am I supposed to feel threatened?"

"Very. Wait 'til we get in the water."

"And I beat you?" Reed said, still smirking. "Trust me, I can't wait. You placing first last week was a fluke."