Chapter Eleven

Jinji

~ Da'astiku ~

Consciousness came slowly.

In her head, Jinji was still flying, still soaring over trees and grass. Images flashed behind her pupils. Memories flickering and fading. Faces. Words. Places she wasn't sure she wanted to remember or forget.

Her eyes slid open, then shut tight against the sun.

But one flash was enough.

Her mind opened, and everything she had seen for the past few hours tumbled back down into the unknown, cascading out of her thoughts, locked away once more.

In their place, a daze.

Total confusion.

Where am I? What happened?

Jinji sat up, hand holding her aching head as her stomach growled for attention. Her vision gradually came into focus.

A bed. Wooden slabs. A small circular window. Maps. A hammock below her. Blankets around her.

The ship. Rhen's ship.

How much time had passed, she wondered, looking around the room for some sign. She remembered talking with the Ourthuri, remembered touching Rhen's hand—she could still feel the fire that had burst under her skin, awakening the spirits.

But everything else had vanished.

The door behind her slammed open, jolting her muscles to life.

Jinji's mind pricked at the sound of heavy breathing. The echo of clashing swords rang in her ears. The thud of boots was suddenly louder than it had been a moment ago.

"Jin, you must run." Someone panted.

She spun.

Captain Pygott stood with blood falling down his cheek—his blue eyes glowing from pain and fear. Jinji knew whom the fear was for.

They must have arrived at the Ourthuri city. Rhen must have gone to the king.

The captain gasped, stepping forward, and held her chin in a viselike grip.

"Who are you?" He questioned.

Instantly Jinji understood. She felt for the spirits, felt for their now familiar presence around her face, but nothing was there.

The illusion had fallen.

She was a girl once more.

"I…" She opened, but no words came out. "This is my true face." She said simply. What else could she say?

"A woman?" He stepped back, mouth hanging agape.

Quickly, Jinji called to the spirits, wrapping the knots around her features once more, hiding herself back behind the mask of her long gone brother's face.

"Just as easily a boy," she said quietly.

Shouts reverberated down the steps. More voices seeped below decks.

Captain Pygott shook his head. "There is no time. You must run, Jin. Rhen is inside the city, in the golden palace, you must find him and you must save him. Before any of the Ourthuri knows you are here."

"But how? What happened?"

The captain put a finger over her lips, nodding slightly, sadly. A crash sounded above him, the crack of wood splintering.

"They are about to find us, you must go before they do. I don't know what happened, why the Ourthuri are attacking, but I know the prince is in danger. Please, on my life, you must help him."