Kidnapped

"What?" Sophie couldn't breathe. "Gone?"

"She wanted to check on you since she thought you were mad at her." Fitz's voice was shaky. "I told her you were probably down at the cave, but you weren't and I called her and she didn't answer so I came over to the cave and her registry pendant is on the ground and..." His rambles trailed off.

"And...?" Sophie whispered.

"Some of her hair." He finished. "Like it was pulled out."

"You're at the cave right now, right?" She bolted out of bed, scolding herself for not having reacted sooner.

"Yeah." He mumbled.

"I'm coming." She hung up on him to dial Keefe.

Keefe took his good old time answering, but eventually, his messy hair and smile filled the screen.

"Keefe, it happened." She put her shoes on.

"I don't know, Foster. You don't look kidnapped." His face was full of concern.

"No- it's Biana. Just hurry."

Sophie was just out her front door when Keefe appeared. He barely saw her as she barreled past. "Sophie!"

She didn't answer. He took off after her. "What are you doing?!"

"What do you think?" She said exasperated.

"You... can tel- teleport and you chose... to run??" He said in between breaths.

She slowed down to face him. Keefe bent over with his hand on his knees panting. "You... run fast..."

"What did you say?" Sophie said with urgency.

"You run..."

"Not that! The other thing!"

"Oh, teleportation? Let's use it." He was now on the ground.

"But we don't know if I can still do it! That's so risky." Sophie reached over to pull him off the ground. He refused to move, staying limp on the ground.

"Why wouldn't you be able to do it?" He's got off the ground while Sophie rolled her eyes at his previously denied help. "I'll levitate. You teleport."

"And if we die?"

"Don't be so dramatic, Foster. You're always a foot from death, why are you scared now?" He placed his arm around her waist and started floating. Sophie ignored her obvious blush across her face.

Keefe took them up as fast as he could. Sophie remarked that they could have been there by now if they had continued running. Eventually, they were high enough for Sophie to feel satisfied.

She hooked her hand in his, lacing their fingers together. "Ready?"

"Anything for you, Sophie."

And with that, they plummeted into the void.

———

Biana awoke to darkness and searing pain. She wiggled around trying to get up. It wasn't until the ropes began to cut into her skin that she realized that she was a hostage.

"A brown-haired boy found her pendant in the cave." A voice filled the silence.

"Must be one of her Vacker friends." Another answered. His gruff voice seeming more in charge than the others. "Did you stop him?"

"Too risky." The other voice muttered.

"We also observed two blond kids levitate in the air and lose their balance, only to plummet to their assumed death." Another voice chimes in.