Chapter XI - The First Stolen Kiss

I step out of chem lab, buzzing with energy. It feels good not to feel weak and in pain. I'm very aware that unfortunately, it won't last long. It's amazing how much you appreciate something when you're aware that you don't have an infinite amount of it.

I walk fast to my next class, but I can't help gawking. The hallway is back to normal. There are no signs of the previous destruction; there are no cracks in the windows and the stone head busts are perfectly in their places. It's as if an hour ago never happened.

Did they do this? How? How did they get everything to return to normal so quickly? I'm pretty sure I didn't imagine the whole thing.

I look at Ruen, then I look at Thane. They are walking on either side of me, just slightly behind me. Thane returns my look with a quick sideways glance before he stares straight ahead, his eyes glitter with amusement and mischief. Ruen just continues on, seeming unperturbed but there's a determined look on his stunning face and the taut lines of his tall and lithe body.

A few steps and a turn later, I throw a suspicious look their way again. Are they following me? I turn the corner and they do the same. When I slow down, they slow down too. When I pick up the pace, they're just a step behind me.

I know I share the next class with them...and Luella...so we're going to the same destination, but this is ridiculous! They won't let me get too far away.

"Stop following me!" I hiss at them as I keep walking, my gaze sweeping around the passing students.

"We'll stop following you when you agree to talk to us," answers Ruen without looking at me.

"Well, start talking then! You can talk to me now," I tell him. "We have a few more minutes before---"

"I've already told you, a ghrá," he says. "There are too many eyes watching, too many ears listening. We need privacy and I need more than just a few minutes with you."

My mom certainly wouldn't like that. "I can't---" I begin to tell Ruen before he suddenly grabs my elbow and drags me sideways. It happens so fast, I can't even blink, let alone think of resisting when Thane pushes the backdoors open. Ruen brings me out into the bright sunlight. The two boys nod at each other before Thane turns around and slips back inside, letting the doors shut behind him with a click, signaling the lock engaged, leaving Ruen and me alone outside.

The backdoor is always locked during school hours, how did they do that? Wait, why am I out here alone with Ruen?

I whirl around, and even when I'm a hundred percent sure that the door is now locked, I grab the handle and frantically try to push it open. It doesn't budge. Of course. These doors are built in the 1800-s, Thick, solid wood.

I swallow thickly. My heart is galloping in my chest. I can feel his eyes on my back, watching me but I grip the door handle harder, not wanting to face him...yet.

"Are you afraid of me, Fayre?" His voice is quiet; gossamer-like. Unreal. Beautiful and lilting, tantalizing, so unlike anybody else's that I've ever known. Even Thane's voice has that ethereal quality to it, although it doesn't grab me the way Ruen's does.

I'm not afraid of him...not really. I'm afraid of the power he has over me. I'm afraid of this connection that we have. I've been trying to dismiss this thing between us since that very first time that I saw him in the school corridor with Luella. I even told myself that I disliked him, close to hate, really but I know that it's not working. I'm afraid of my feelings for him. My obsession with him. I find everything about him appealing and irresistible, that's why we shouldn't be out here alone. "We have to get back inside. The class is starting soon." I try the door handle again.