04 | dromeda

A / N

Writing this, I've realised something: even when your story is canon, there is still so much room for creativity. The Harry Potter books gloss over lots of elements, which you have to spin yourself. And this chapter demonstrates just that.

This is how I imagined it.

Yours always,
kit xx

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

   i v   

d r o m e d a

IT WAS THE MOST painful funeral she had been to so far. And Andromeda Tonks had been to many.

It had been over a week since Albus Dumbledore's funeral, but the memory of it still haunted her. The night of his death, she, Ted, Remus and Tonks had travelled straight to Hogsmeade, after receiving an owl from Minerva McGonagall informing them that Dumbledore's funeral would be held at Hogwarts.

It was lucky that they had gone early, because as they had expected, the little wizarding village was jam-packed with people. It was difficult to find a place to stay, for wizards and witches all over the country (and beyond) were flooding into Hogsmeade to pay their last respects.

On the day of the funeral, they wore black dress robes and sorrowful expressions. Hundreds of people had swarmed in the streets leading up to Hogwarts, like a procession of tiny black flies. Andromeda had looked wistfully at the medieval castle breaching the horizon, admiring its towering turrets and intricate spires; she had never thought that she would return there, especially not for a funeral.

It was a wondrous day for such a sombre occasion: the mild sun had hung sedately in the azure sky, which was cloudless and infinite, exposing the heavens.

There was doleful silence as the congregation filed into their seats, listening to the eulogy in earnest. She remembered the mournful Mermish lament warbling in the background, how hearing it felt like drowning. She remembered watching phantom-like flames flare up around Dumbledore's body and crystallise into a white marble tomb.

She remembered not being able to see, because her vision was blurred by tears.

━━━━━━━━━━

In the days leading up to her daughter's wedding, the Tonks family subconsciously avoided discussing the war. Remus had insisted that the wedding be a quiet affair, lest their marriage was discovered by the press. Regardless, Remus looked more stressed than usual. They knew it was because he felt guilty for celebrating so soon after the funeral, but Andromeda, Ted and Tonks all agreed that it was the best option.

It's what Dumbledore would have wanted, they told him, Dumbledore would have wanted you to be happy. But Remus continued to be miserable, a troubled look constantly shadowing his features.

"I'm coming out, mum."

Tonks stepped out of the bedroom door, unusually shy. She was wearing a dress. But she never wears dresses.

Andromeda remembered buying that dress for her daughter a long time ago, but she never thought Tonks would wear it, let alone get married in it. The creamy white dress was simple, knee-length and flared out at the bottom. It was made of a light, floaty fabric and had no sleeves — perfect for the summer weather.