15: Step Fifteen: How To Win A Sword Fight

"A thief ducked into a San Francisco gallery and walked out less than a minute later holding one of its best pieces: a $20,000 Salvador Dalí etching. The artwork, a limited-edition hand-colored 1960s Surrealist etching titled "La Girafe en Feu," or "The Giraffe on Fire," had been sitting on an easel at the gallery, Dennis Rae Fine Art, when it was taken on Sunday."

Isabella Kwai, The New York Times, October 17, 2019

~**~~**~

"I was in Russia. Saint Petersburg to be more specific. The Ninth Wave was being showcased in the grand opening of the museum. Openings of museums are the best time to acquire art. The combination of rich patrons, champagne, and the hectic shuffle creates gaps in security that are easy to circumvent. I had acquired an invite through an accredited art collector--" Nico paused and clicked her tongue before saying "I had helped in out in the past and he owed me a favor."

She closed her eyes as she remembered the first sight she had caught of the Ninth Wave.

~**~~**~

The limo pulled up to the entrance of the museum, taking its place in the long line of black sedans and sports cars. Even through the tinted windows, Nico could see the lights sparkling outside, a dazzling spectacle.

Rolling her window and placing her nearly full glass of champagne down, Nico resisted the urge to stick her head out of the window like a dog. Awe coursed through her veins and goosebumps ran over her skin.

The Russian State Museum was more of a palace than a museum. Grand pillars lined the entire building, the alabaster and marble shining in the dark.

Perfectly maintained lawns grew parallel to the drive and sculpted hedges blocked the outside world, consuming the paradise in a world of its own.

A bitterly cold wind nipped at her, slipping through the thin material of her dress in an attack. Without her approval, one of her hands moved towards the lights, almost as if she could touch the bulbs despite the hundreds of meters separating them.

Her window suddenly rolled up, abruptly cutting off her view of the museum as a charming voice swelled through the limo. "It's absolutely frigid, my darling. You'll catch your death," Klaus informed her, placing the champagne back in her hand and pushing it towards her mouth. "Finish your drink, you never know what rubbish they will be serving at this event."

He wrinkled his nose and adjusted the black bow tie around his throat.

Klaus Kuznetsov was a handsome man. He had an impressive build, sharp jawline, and a set of piercing blue eyes that reminded Nico of ice.

However, while his appearance was relatively attractive, his personality was the direct inverse. Like all men born into money, he had a swag that only came when spending his mother's millions. He had the habit of tossing money around just for the show of it.

His newest hobby was investing in one of a kind artwork and hoarding it away so no one could see it. And while his wretched personality caused Nico's skin to crawl, he did have one personality trait that had attracted her to him in the first place.

Blessed by Aphrodite and cursed by Athena, Klaus never questioned the art that Nico brought him.

He was an art thief's dream in every sense. The man bought stolen art and placed it in a vault where it would never see the sunlight again.

(Or so he assumed)

In reality, Nico had stolen back at least four of the six pieces she had sold him. It was a game she liked to play: was this man really that inept or just an idiot?