Ch. 13 - Anna's Story

MY BREATHING WAS SHORT, and the room was spinning

MY BREATHING WAS SHORT, and the room was spinning. My father was on the phone right now.

"Sunshine, I need to talk to you in person," he said, and I licked my lips, nervously.

"I-I c-can't," I replied.

"Campbell, I just want to see you. I haven't seen my little girl in years. Please, just for a hour," he begged.

"I got to go. Please, don't ever call this phone ever again," I said, sternly.

I hung the phone up before he could answer. I tossed my phone on my bed, and I walked out my room with Winter following me.

I quickly walked down the stairs and towards the kitchen. Ross and Lisa were watching a movie together, and I walked quietly, so I wouldn't distrub them.

When I walked into the kitchen, I saw the sliding door which led outside. I slid it open, and the chilly air attacked my legs. I was wearing shorts and a sweatshirt.

I sat on the porch swing, and I brought my knees up to my chest. I didn't know how he got my number.

My heart tightened when I thought about the night everything went down. Tears rolled down my cheeks, and I heard somebody walk out on the porch.

I looked up to see Ross, standing there with a blanket.

"May I join you?" He asked me.

I nodded, and he sat on the swing with me. He wrapped the blanket around me, and I mumbled a thank you.

"You know, I used to go outside every night, when I was a kid, just to look at the stars. They always made me belive that darkness has light. Even at the darkest times there is always light," he said, looking up at the sky.

"What if there isn't no light? What happens when you're stuck in darkness for the rest of your life?" I asked him.

"Well, that is up to you. Everybody has a choice in life, and only you can choose what happens," he replied.

"Ross, I try to have a happy life, but my past keeps catching up to me every chance it gets," I said, looking at him.

"Then confront it. Once you confront it, it will leave you alone. Does this have something to do with Malcolm?" He asked, and I shook my head 'no.'

"My father called me a few minutes ago. He wants to see me," I said, shaking my head.

"Is that a bad thing? Where is he at? We can go visit him, anytime you like," he said, and I bit my lip.

"Prison. My father is in prison. He has been there for a couple of years, now."

"Oh, Campbell, I'm sorry. I had no idea."

I shrugged. "It's not your fault. I didn't tell anybody about him."

"Is that why you're crying?" He asked, and I nodded.