Chapter One

• Dedicated to Groovie Ghoulies

CHAPTER ONE:

            I currently don’t own a car in my possession. My modes of transportation are either by bus, train, but preferably, Lloyd’s twenty year old Ford car from the 70s. It’s a rusted Torino, dark green with a vinyl roof; the thing is so close to collapsing, I’m afraid it’ll breathe its last breath in the middle of a traffic jam. But Lloyd had taken the car, despite the fact his on-and-off again boyfriend could have clearly picked him up.

            The Laundromat is on the corner of our street; not far at all. But I don’t think my scrawny excuse for arms could carry two baskets of clothes without mishaps along the way—I’d have to make two trips. I grabbed the two baskets from the bedroom (yes, we only have one bedroom) and stacked them on top of each other. It got chilly at night, so I untied my yellow sweater from my waist and draped it over my shoulders.

            As soon as I opened the door though, it revealed a person mid-knock. She stepped back immediately, tucked her blonde hair behind her ears, and crossed her arms in front of her chest. I smiled warmly at her, finding it absolutely amusing to see her here.

            “Hey Mallory,” I greeted, leaning against the door frame, “back already?”

            Her face contorted to disgust as she pushed past me, slapping my chest to tell me to get out of the way. I obliged, but rolled my eyes nonetheless.

            “I came for—“

            “Lloyd,” I answered, nodding.

            “Watch it, Rhodes,” She said, sending daggers my way, “I came for my DVDs I let Lloyd borrow. Where are they?”

            I know I shouldn’t taunt a girl who just recently found out her boyfriend’s sexuality didn’t necessarily coincide with her sex, but damn, was it funny. Not to mention Mallory is still irrefutably in love with him, finding any excuse she can to meet with Lloyd and cure the thing that possessed him to break up with her. It’s just too damn funny, really, it is.

            “By DVDs, I know you mean Lloyd, and they’re both not here. Lloyd returned those a week ago, and Lloyd is probably goin’ postal at the nearest gay bar. Which gay bar, you may ask? That’s classified information.”

            “Like I care about Lloyd after what he did to me. As if. I just came for my DVDs, and if they aren’t here, then I’m out. Bye, Rhodes.”

            She shoved me out of the doorway once more, but I didn’t budge so easily this time. The thought of walking home with two full baskets of laundry was, needless to say, unappetizing. And well, I thought Mallory’s visit could be put to good use.

            “Wanna help me carry these baskets from the Laundromat back to my apartment?” I asked, politely.

            She scoffed, “Why would I do that?”

            “A straight guy is asking you to go out with him on a Friday night. I’m sure that’s a new experience for you. So, why not?” I laughed at my own joke, finding my humor the only quality kind around. But, of course, Mallory didn’t find it at all amusing, and instead just stood there, hand on hip, and murder in her eyes.

            “You’re such an annoying little dweeb.”

            “Well, do you have anything better to do other than camp outside your ex’s apartment?”

            “I was not—“

            “Mallory.”

            “Ugh, fine, let’s go.”