Haven

Warmth enveloped me as I began to come to. What happened? The last thing I remembered was standing below the breach praying to the Gods that the mark would close it. My eyes opened slowly, not to a snow filled sky of green tendrils and demons and, perhaps more shockingly, not to the stoney ceiling of a dungeon.

I was in a well built cabin with a high ceiling and sturdy walls. I turned my head to the side to find the room well furnished. The fireplace was lit, the table pushed to the corner of the room was littered with healing tonics and herbs, but the bed was by far the best part. Soft silky sheets topped with warm fur blankets and feather pillows.

I pushed myself into my elbows, pain still clinging to my torso, and swung my feet out of the bed. The door opened and a small elven girl entered. Her eyes widened the instant she saw me sitting up in the bed, the box in her hands falling to the floor.

"I-im sorry! I didn't know you were awake, I swear!" She said hastily.

Holding my hand up peacefully I smiled at her. "It's alright. You're not hurt, are you?"

Her eyes scrunched in confusion. I gestured to the box on the floor and she giggled softly, clearly embarrassed. "I-I'm alright. It's just herbs."

"Please sit, I have a few questions." I said in a soft tone trying my best not to frighten her.

"Thank you, my lady," She said with a wide smile as she took a seat beside me.

"I'm no Lady. Please call me Lin." I insisted. "What happened? Where are we?"

"We are in Haven my la- Lin. You lost consciousness stopping the breach,and that mark on your hand, from growing. Lady Cassandra brought you back here to regain your strength. It's all anyone's talked about for three days! She ordered me to find her in the Chantry and inform her the minute you woke up." Her voice drifted away as she began dreading the Seekers wrath for disobedience.

Three days? I've been asleep for far too long. "Just between the two of us, I'd prefer to have a few minutes to myself."

She nodded. "I understand, it can be a lot sometimes, especially now, especially for someone like you."

"Someone like me?" I asked.

"You know, someone important."

I set my hand lightly on hers and smiled. "Everyone is important."

"O-of course," She nervously tucked a short strand of her brown hair behind her ear. "But you're the Herald, you're one of the most important people in Haven."

"Herald?"

"That's what they're calling you," She said hastily. "The Herald of Andraste."

My heart nearly stopped as the words washed over me, sinking into my skin and nestling deeply in my bones. Herald of Andraste? No. That couldn't be right. I was an elf, a Dalish elf! Shemlans would never place such a title on someone like me.

The girl squeezed my hand, pulling me back to the present. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you."

"You didn't," I quickly assured her. "It's just... A lot to think about."

"I must return to my duties. I'll give you a few minutes before I tell Lady Cassandra you've awoken."

"I never asked your name, forgive me."

She waved my apology away. "You're asking now, so no apology is needed, Lin. I'm Inessa."

"Well, Inessa, I've enjoyed your company."

Bowing slightly she scurried out of the room. I sighed heavily allowing the weight of what she'd told me truly sink in. The breach was closed, that much was something to be thankful for, but now there was this Herald of Andraste mess to sort through. In my own clan I'd never been a devout religious follower of any of our God's and Goddesses, but at least our Pantheon was familiar. I knew little about the Shemlans God and their beloved Chantry. I only knew about their mage hunters, Templars I think the Shem call them, and how to kill them.