Aftermath of the Second Wave

Buck's heart went to his throat when the fire truck lurched forward and he turned around to find Christopher missing.

He felt his voice crack around Christopher's name as he threw himself into the water screaming.

He pushed himself through the water as it receded, yelling Christopher's name. Hoping the water had gone down enough that Christopher would be able to stay safe... As long as he survived the wave.

He screamed himself hoarse, begging every person he passed for even a clue as to where his boy could be. When he felt like he was just going to fall into the water and give up, a glint of red caught his eye.

Christopher's glasses. They were floating in the water, tangled in a clump of leaves. His vision swam. Christopher had to be close right? His couldn't see without his glasses. He had to be here somewhere. Buck turned in circles scanning the water for any other sign of Christopher, but found no other trace of him.

Tears burned at the back of his eyes. If anyone had to be lost in this storm, why couldn't it be him? Why did it have to be the sweet little boy; who just wanted to cheer him up? Who smiled brighter than the sun and always believed in himself. Who Buck loved as his own, regardless of the unrequited feelings he harbored for Eddie.

He worked the glasses out from within the leaves and debris, slipping them over his head for safe keeping. Fingering the strap gently as he tried to keep hope. Just holding them in his hands made him want to throw up. Christopher was alone, in freezing water, without his glasses. How would he know where to swim or avoid debris in the water without them? How would Christopher be able to see Buck or Eddie or anyone he knew might be there to rescue him?

Buck had never been more scared in his life, not even when Maddie was taken. Even as hostage, Maddie was an adult and she was strong. But Chris was a kid. A little kid, who should be hugging the big bear they won right now, not fighting for his life. Seeing the glasses made Buck push himself even harder.

He couldn't lose him. Christopher needed him and he would push himself into the grave if it meant Chris was alright at the end of this. Christopher meant the world to him and it would destroy him if Christopher was hurt. He could survive never being a firefighter again, but losing Christopher would kill him. He would rather drown than tell Eddie that his son was gone. He needed to find him.

So he pushed himself further. Trudging through the knee deep water, yelling until his voice was barely a rasp, and praying to a god he barely believed in.

He walked until it was dark, going up and down every side street, pushing his body harder than he had in months. Harder than his leg could probably handle without all the adrenaline. His bad leg screamed in protest, but he refused to stop.

He went until his leg gave out and collapsed onto his knees in the water, close to passing out, when he was dragged onto dry land.

He thrashed away from the arms around his torso, barely hearing the person identify themselves. "Sir, Sir. Please calm down. I am a police officer. I am trying to help you."

Buck stopped thrashing, but he didn't calm down. "Need to find Christopher. Let go. Please. Christopher."

He was set on a cot, where a nurse started to look over the cuts on his face, but the longer he sat there the more he panicked. He needed to keep searching for Christopher. Every second without him felt like he was drowning on dry land.

"Sir, can you tell me your name?"

"Evan,-" he managed to gasp out, gripping the edge of the cot until his knuckles went white.

"Evan, I need you to breathe for me. You are hyperventilating."

Buck tried to breathe, but his chest felt tight and his breaths were coming in sharp gasps, which made every word he tried to speak broken and practically unintelligible.

"Chris-topher... Eigh-. CP. C-ereb-al Palsy. Plea-ase. – one--eight--teen."

"Sir, we will find your son. I will radio the other mobile hospitals to look for him, but I need you to calm down so I can check you over. What about the 118? Is there someone there that I can call? A spouse or a family member? Someone who can help you calm down?"

"Diaz..... 118...Ed-dee. sorry. Lossst Chris—"

"Okay, match my breathing Mr. Diaz. Officer Ryan will call him. I promise. Then we will find your son. Now, you need to calm down before I have to sedate you." Buck focused all his energy on breathing, sucking in a deep harsh breath. He did not want to be sedated. He couldn't be. He still needed to find Christopher.