Chapter 16

November Reed

...Leaving the marketplace was not fun. Not fun in the slightest.

King Killian might be used to being surrounded by many, many people and having bodyguards hold them off but Nova wasn't. Though she had mild anxiety, she could feel it rising up slightly in her chest. Large crowds typically didn't bother her that much - but this was large. Not to mention, they all seemed to be coming towards her.

Rather, towards King Killian - but still.

Not to mention, it didn't help that Nova was able to tell that the whole 'protecting' instinct was definitely heavier towards King Killian than it was towards Nova. Which was understandable - since their primary focus was him.

But it didn't help her at all.

Instead, Nova merely clutched the collar on her shirt and took deep breaths, primarily to try to keep herself level headed given the fact she could feel her anxiety pressing up slightly.

Though Nova couldn't tell if he could recognise the signs of anxiety or not, King Killian seemed to place his hand on her back and was trying to steer her forward towards the destination. The destination, that Nova figured out, was his vehicle.

Once the door was opened up, Nova clambered to the far side and pressed her hand over her face. She continued to take deep breaths, regulating herself even after she heard the door shut from the far side of the car.

"I know, it's... a bit much." King Killian said in regards to the crowd.

Nova nodded her head slowly and lowered her hand down to her lap. "Anxiety," She murmured with a forced smile, though her eyes shifted over to the window. "It's mild, but..." She nodded her head out and made a face. Obviously that didn't help at all.

"I see," King Killian murmured. Nova let out another breath and was a bit surprised to feel the King's hand on her back somewhat, rubbing it lightly. She had a feeling it was supposed to be comforting...

...But it was still weird.

At some point, the car seemed to move forward. Nova wasn't certain when King Killian had told the driver to move, but she had a feeling that moving at all was likely a bit of a safety precaution for the King. Sitting in one place was probably... dangerous or something.

Nova had opened up her mouth to speak to the King, though her eyes shifted over to the driver. "Well I'll be," Nova said, smiling and leaning forward again slightly. "Good to see you again, Duke."

Duke gave a slight laugh from where he was sitting at the wheel but kept his focus on driving. Nova supposed that, especially escorting the King around, he was likely on high standards. Such as... taking his eyes off of the road for even a moment could likely get him fired. "Likewise, Miss Reed."

Recalling a conversation that they had yesterday when Duke had taken her home, Nova pat her knee softly. "Did you ever look up Erik Satie like I suggested?" She questioned. Duke, yesterday, had mentioned that his granddaughter had been struggling with sleeping recently. Therefore, Nova being the all-things-art-guru, suggested Erik Satie as a good pianist to listen to for relaxation music.

Duke nodded his head slightly while driving, though it was curt. "I suggested it to my son. I'll let you know if it helps with my granddaughter."

Nova smiled at that comment and slid back against the chair again. She turned her head over to the King, who had an... interesting expression on his face. "Not used to being sidelined?" Nova said blatantly to him, amusement growing on her own face.

"No."

"Well, there are other people in the car besides just us, My Lord." Nova said, though it felt a bit odd on her tongue. Saying it... sincerely was strange. Most of the time she heard it was from her father or people who shared a similar opinion as him - and it definitely wasn't sincerely.

"That's Your Majesty to you." King Killian said with a smirk.

Nova rolled her eyes. Since he wasn't all that far away to begin with, Nova reached out and smacked his knee lightly at the comment.

...Though the guards in the car didn't seem to like the gesture. As if she had been trying to harm him, the guards seemed to somewhat leap up ready for action.

Nova sat wide eyed and curled back up in her own spot, leaning against the back of the seat. She could feel her anxiety pressing up again slightly, though not nearly as bad as it had been earlier. The thought that the guards would jump on her at any moment if she did anything wrong was a bit... frightening.

"Oh calm yourselves, would you?" King Killian spoke from his spot towards the guards.

...Nova opted to remain where she was, deciding to not reach out at the King again. She crossed her arms over her chest and shifted her gaze over towards the windows. The rather... dark windows. Obviously tinted, once again, for one man's protection.

"Don't mind them. They can be a tad overzealous."

"...Yeah something like that," Nova murmured while rubbing at her far shoulder with her right hand. "Where... are we going anyway?" She eventually questioned. The fact that she waited until this point to ask that was a bit reckless of herself to begin with. Normally, Nova was a bit more conscious as to where she was and where she was being taken to. The idea of getting paid and getting out of work likely excited her a bit more than she expected. She somewhat... leapt at the offer.

King Killian gave a slight smile at that comment. "A private garden," He explained. "I figured you might like it, since I noticed you're a fan of landscape paintings."

Nova gave a somewhat forced smile back and nodded her head before shifting her gaze back out the window. The fact that he was taking her anywhere still... confused the woman. A lot. Not only was he just taking her anywhere - but he was trying to take her to a place that she would like?

It was one thing to go out of your way to apologize, especially as royalty.

...But to take her out somewhere to apologize? Well that was...

...

Well it was a bit creepy. Hell, Nova was positive that if she didn't know for certain who he was she would have never said yes. She wouldn't have said yes if he didn't offer to pay for her time since he took her away from her job to begin with, either.

Bernhard needed to take some tips from King Killian in that regard, since she missed out on a whole day of pay yesterday going to the palace - in which he ditched her.

Well, she ditched him.

...Complications.

Regardless, the entire situation was a bit creepy.

If it wasn't for getting free money without needing to work, she wouldn't have said yes. King or not King. But the issue of why still came up and bounced around in her head.

Then the phone call yesterday where she heard only her father's side popped into her head... in which he had declared that the only way she would marry King Killian was if she agreed to it herself.

Son of a bitch.

"You want to marry me." Nova declared, turning her head to stare over at King Killian.

The pieces finally started to click together into her head as to why King Killian was being so pushy. At least, she hoped that was the reason. Otherwise, her declaring that statement was, well, a bit mortifying.