Day 10: Voodoo Magic

My whole life I'd believed in magic. I'd searched high and low for evidence of real magic. I'd seen it all, from old Chinese wise men to magicians claiming to use real magic. But I had yet to find real, genuine magic. Until I heard word of an old voodoo woman that people swore by as genuine. I immediately booked a flight to Louisiana, ready to meet this woman myself.

I walked down the street of a little town hidden in the swamps of Louisiana. It was quite hot and humid, the sun shining brightly through the trees. This is it. I thought. Finally, someone with real magic. I could feel it in my bones.

The old voodoo woman was said to live in a little hut just outside of town. After asking some locals for directions, I found myself at the entrance to her hut. I knocked on the side of the structure.

"Come in." Came an old voice, cracked with age.

As I entered her residence, I looked around. The walls were covered in instruments, dolls, and masks. There were pins sticking out of several of the dolls, and the whole room had an uneasy feeling about it. In the corner of the hut was a decrepit little old woman sitting in a rocking chair.

"Excuse me, are you Madame Laveau?" I asked tentatively to the old woman.

"That's my name dear." Madame Laveau replied. "How can I help you. Do you need revenge on someone? Do you need healing?"

"Miss Laveau, I have searched my whole life for magic. Real, tangible magic. I've been told you can grant me that." I said, my heart beating faster than ever before.

"I can give you magic." Madame Laveau said. "But instant magic comes with consequences dear."

"I don't care, I'll give you anything you want," I said, desperate for the magic I'd hunted my whole life for.

"Anything, eh dear?" Madame Laveau said. "Even giving your will to the loa?"

I gulped hard. "The loa? What are those?" I asked.

"The spirits, are you willing to obey them in exchange for magic?" Madame Laveau said.

I paused for a moment, considering my options. "Yes, I'm willing to do whatever it takes."

"Then let us begin dear." Madame Laveau said, standing up and walking up to me. "I need you to just stand over here." Madame Laveau led me over to the center of her hut.

"So just stay right here?" I asked.

"Yes." Madame Laveau said. Then she started to sing. "You've traveled the world searching, yearning for magic."

Madame Laveau pulled a small drum off the wall and started to lay down a beat. "You never stopped believing, despite all the phonies, the charlatans. The question is, are you prepared for the consequences of your devotion?" Her voice was strangely enchanting, and no longer sounded so ancient. "Well there you are, now you'll see. Let the Loa enter thee!"

As Madame Laveau finished her strange song, I suddenly felt dizzy. When the world stopped spinning, I found myself elsewhere. Or rather my spirit was elsewhere. I was outside of my body, floating in the air. I looked around desperately, trying to find my body. I looked around, realizing I was in the middle of Madame Laveau's hut. My body stood right next to me, looking at itself. I tried to move toward it.

"Ah, not so fast dear." Madame Laveau said. Out of nowhere a glass bottle suddenly surrounded me, trapping me in. "These are the consequences of brash magic dear. Your soul is now mine."

I could only watch in horror as my body thanked Madame Laveau and turned toward the entrance. A broad and unnatural smile spread across my body's lips. I was helpless as I watched my body exit the hut and never return. Madame Laveau held my bottle up to her face.

"Oh, my dear. You and I are going to have such fun, aren't we?"