Part Fourteen: Kiss and Kill

The orange-gold flames made their shadows dance as they sat around the fire. Silence filled the wide gaps in their hearts. Battle was coming. They could very well end up dead the next day.

"Just to be sure - you know I am a pagan, yes?" Braith asked the knights across the fire. They all looked amongst each other.

A nod from Percival.

"Yes," from Elyan.

"I was there," from Gawain.

"We heard your speech," said Leon.

"And you're still willing to fight by my side? Even after knowing my like is outlawed here?" Braith said, an incredulous grin tinting her features.

"You were right, when you said magic doesn't have to be evil," Gawain spoke up. The young warlock's heart soared, although he had no intention of exposing his gift.

"You fight for the truth, Braith. We can all back that," Merlin told her, giving her hand a squeeze. She locked his gaze for a moment, amazed. Her sight wandered from the murky blue depths of his eyes, to that smile that dared a kiss, and back again. Eyes. Lips. Eyes. Lips. From across the fire they could hear Gawain snicker.

"I see what's going on here," he mocked. The smile dropped off Merlin's face. Did the knight guess he was a magician?

"What?"

"Merlin, you wild thing - You stole the Prince's bride-to-be, and ran away with her!" Gawain pointed out, his comrades laughing too. Merlin pulled away self-consciously, a little bit embarrassed. Braith, however, had a different agenda.

"If anything it was me who stole him," she quipped. They all burst into laughter, which made the whole thing seem like just a big hunting trip. Sadly, their light-hearted, chatty atmosphere was only skin deep.

---

The sun hadn't even begun to rise when the company started waking. Uneasiness had plagued their hearts and infiltrated the fortress of their dreams. The autumn leaves crackled softly beneath Merlin's feet as he paced, back and forth, and back and forth, in anxiety. The outcome of this fight would be vital, crucial to the future of Camelot and Dane. To the future of everything, really. Destiny. Arthur. The alliance. Albion. Magic. Love. Him, and Braith.

As if their thoughts were connected, the Lady of Dane opened her eyes, staring into the embers of what had once been a roaring fire. She sat up, forgetting to pull out a few leaves that had tangled in her thick dark hair. The girl propped herself up on her elbows and watched him for a moment, before speaking. "You're afraid," she finally acknowledged. The warlock was less surprised than he should have been to hear her voice.

"Yes."

She stood and pulled him into a wordless hug. They needed comforting touch, but nothing need be said. Even so, the words poured out of Merlin's mouth like blood from a dying man's.

"Oh god, Braith, what are we going to do? It's all too late now, so many people are going to die, the future is going to change," he said, voice cracking several times. He exhaled a shaky breath and the Dane held him tighter. "I'm just... not ready." Braith held him at arms length and looked at him with frightened resolve. Her gaze flicked from one of his eyes to the other.

"Me neither."

---

Gawain jerked awake from a dream of darker times. He sat up quickly, a alarmed to see Braith and Merlin talking quietly. The servant was dressed to travel, with an expression that read 'I don't want to leave you'. Braith kissed him on the cheek, and smiled sadly. The boy left, the Lady of Dane staring after him through the woods.