Job Offer

Aubrey

It had been three weeks since I was attacked. Xavier never left my side. He didn't let me go to work without him and he didn't take jobs out of town. As much as it sounds like it would be annoying having someone with you all the time, it wasn't. We had fun together, even though he was still grouchy with everyone else, he was different with me.

People in town were slowly starting to get used to the club it seemed. Mrs. West said she wasn't afraid of him as long as I was there. She told me that when I was out of his sight he was on edge. I guess that's how most people felt, according to Rose.

Thanksgiving was next week and my parents were trying to talk me into coming home. The truth was, I hated going to holiday gatherings with my family. I always felt out of place. My sisters were always bragging about some big thing they had accomplished, whether it was work, school or relationships, and I'd always end up getting a speech about how I need to be doing more with my life and that was before I quit my job and moved to work at a coffee shop. I couldn't imagine what would be said this year.

"Do you want me to answer the damn phone?" Xavier asked, after it rang for the fifth time today. It was my mom.

"No,"

"Just tell them no, Angel, you will stop stressing about this when you talk to them. It's just your parents, what are you so afraid of?"

"I'm not afraid, they just stress me out. I know them, they want to get me home and not let me leave." His eyes darkened.

"Do you think you'd stay? If you left."

"I know I wouldn't." He smiled a little. "I told you my family is very cold and who wants to have people telling you everything wrong with you on a holiday? I'll talk to them eventually but I don't want to worry about it now." The truth was my family stressed me out to the point of feeling worthless. Everything was a competition, one I never even got close to winning.

A man walked into the shop looking around the counter nervously.

"May I help you?" His eyes landed on Xavier and he pressed his lips together.

"I was wanting to know if I could have a word." I looked back at Xavier who was standing with his arms crossed and a slightly confused look on his face.

"I'm listening." He grumbled. The man cleared his throat.

"I'm from the next town over, I run a liquor store and we have been having some trouble."

"So?" I sighed looking at Xavier. He ignored me.

"Look, I heard the club use to run... security. I can pay y'all. This other club is interfering with our stock, stealing from the trucks and costing me about half my income. They look like a bunch of kids but they all have guns and the cops near us don't have a lead on who they are." Xavier didn't seem phased by anything the man was saying. He stood there looking down at the man for about three minutes until he finally broke the silence.

"How many are there?"

"Last time about six guys stopped my delivery guys in broad daylight."

"Move your delivery to late at night, give me your number and store address, I will take money upfront." The man looked pleasantly surprised, I was shocked too.

"Yeah, yeah of course." The man pulled out a piece of paper that had writing on it.

"Also, all cameras around the store are going to be disconnected." The guy nodded once and handed the paper to Xavier.

"The delivery is this Tuesday."

"I'll give you a call that morning and tell you my price."

"Thank you. Thank you so much." The man left and I turned to Xavier.

"What?" He asked.

"I'm surprised."

"Technically, it's not for this town so.." I rolled my eyes at him then frowned. "What's wrong?"

"They have guns." He shrugged.

"So do we."

"But what if something happens to you." He pulled me to him before lifting my face so I was looking into his eyes.

"Angel, trust me, this isn't the first time we have been in a situation like this. Honestly just us being there will be enough to stop them."

"Promise?"

"Promise."