Chapter 7

It was move-in day and on a day that I thought would be filled with a mixture of heartache and excitement, there was just relief and trickles of excitement. I needed this change. I needed something of my own.

The drive to college with Blaine and Anna was quiet. I was lost in my thoughts, still torn up about Triston's bullshit and my breakup with Preston. Regardless of Preston's behavior, he had been a part of my life for so long, that it was hard to imagine not talking to him. I had Sam, my best friend, coming with me, I reminded myself, and this was going to be our year.

I hadn't bothered to say goodbye to either of the Malone brothers, not that they wanted to see me. Anna definitely picked up on the sudden tension between her sons and me, but she was too polite to pry. She knew her sons could be difficult and a lot to handle, but I knew she was worried. I tried to keep my smile bright for her sake, but it took a toll and I was relieved to see FSU come into view.

The campus was gorgeous and just far away from home to make me feel as if I'd left behind all my problems. I didn't want the garbage to follow me here. This was supposed to be a clean slate.

Palm trees flanked the buildings, their large leaves swaying with the warm breeze. A round fountain sat in the center courtyard, trickling water into a crystal aqua pool. We weaved through the campus, following the directions on my school packet for my house assignment. I had my nose pressed to the glass, gazing at all the housing buildings as we drove by.

"Here we are," Blaine said, parking in front of a red brick three-story house with black shutters. 

At least, I thought it was a house. It looked too small to be a dorm complex. I was confused. "This can't be right," I said, gazing at the house and then glancing back down at my papers. Freshmens were normally housed in dorms on-campus. If I wasn't mistaken, this complex was just off campus.

"Are you sure it is the right address?" Anna asked. She peeked through the window, studying the building. "I think this is—"

"What is the address again?" Blaine asked, cutting his wife off who was still eyeing the building through her sunglasses.

"223 W. College Ave," I replied, chewing on my lip.

"This is it," Blaine assured, turning the engine off. "Let's talk to the resident advisor just to make sure there isn't a mix-up."

The resident advisor, Marissa, checked her iPad, scanning down the list of names. "Yup. Everly Scott. I have you right here, 3B. You're rooming with Samantha Evanston?" she asked, lifting her gaze from the tablet. The way she gripped onto the thing, I had a feeling she never went anywhere without it.

Marissa looked like a smart cheerleader if there was such a thing. Dressed in a pair of booty jean shorts that accentuated her long golden legs and a white tank. She had not only the body of a cheerleader but also that rah-rah pep in her voice. Her not-so-natural blonde hair was knotted into a messy bun on top of her head, loose pieces framing her face. The studious glasses she wore only enhanced the deep hue of blue in her eyes, hence the smart cheerleader vibe.

"Sam," I corrected.

"Good. She isn't here just yet but is on the same floor in the room next to yours, 3C. It's easier to move in at different times than your roommate." Marissa handed me a key. "If you lose this or get locked out, there is a charge for replacement. The elevator is on right, which makes it easy to move stuff in. Each floor has three rooms, all fully furnished. On the first floor is a full kitchen and TV room, as well as an entertainment center with a pool table and stuff. You and... Sam," she said, remembering. "Share a bathroom with 3A but you each have your own bedroom that includes a desk."