Ducks

Jace and Clary watched the stars.

And huddled between the blankets, cold and shivering but not quite wanting to go back inside yet, Jace and Clary noticed how one of them seemed to gaze back at them, watching. Waiting.

Clary tried to ignore the shiver of apprehenison that went down her spine at seeing it.

Jace put his arm around her, gazing softly into those emerald eyes. "I love you,"

Those three words; the words that she loved most in the world. Apart from Jace, of course. She put her arms around his neck, and she didn't know who leaned in first, but soon they were kissing. When they finally pulled apart, breathless, she whispered, "I love you too."

"And I hope," She continued. "That you will be able to forgive me for this." She pulled out a packet of bread.

"What are-" Realization slowly dawned on his face. "No- Clary, you are not-"

"I am," She said, smiling wickedly. "And you are too."

They were going to feed the ducks.

~~~~

Jace sat wide-eyed, jumping at every noise. Clary ruffled his hair affectionately. "Come on. This'll help you get over your anatidaephobia,"

"I have no idea what that means, and I will not go anywhere near those things. Don't say I didn't warn you when I'm standing over your corpse." A duck quacked, and Jace yelped. "Clary-"

She threw the duck some bread. She had been suprised at seeing the ducks still awake and quacking at dark, but then again, this was New York.

Jace and Clary- but actually only Clary- fed ducks bread for another 15 minutes of agony- for Jace- until they were chased down by the park's groundskeeper. Jace thanked him quite genuinely.

They met Isabelle at Taki's afterwards.

"But you were supposed to be on a date!" She exclaimed at seeing them.

"We were, until she-" He jabbed a finger at Clary. "T-took us-"

"We went to feed the ducks." Clary finished for him.

Isabelle laughed. "Oh, you poor Jacey boy."

Jace winced at hearing his name said like that, and ordered a chamomile tea from the waiter that looked at him funny, having overheard their conversation.

~~~~

That night, Jace looked up anatidaephobia in the dicitonary.

From Heaven, Will Herondale shuddered at this poor boy's misfortune