Chapter 39: By Night's End

"It's me, Joker. I've come home, Father." Joker announces loudly into the manor. It was so dark and quiet. As if no one had lived there in years. However, Joker knew better. He knew that Father was there, waiting for him in silence. He always is. Joker enters the manor, using a lantern to help guide his way. He walks up the stairs and proceeds down a long corridor. Walking towards the door at the very end. He gave it two soft knocks. "I'm very sorry for bothering you. Especially considering the late hour. I needed to speak wit-."

"Ahh! Welcome home, my boy. What a good lad you are, coming back to your old father's so soon." Kelvin says, excited by his presence. He was sitting on a sofa in the back with two adorable children, a boy and a girl, both with soulless eyes and blank expressions, dressed in cute clothing beside him. "Now, where is he? He is with you, yes?" He asked. Joker closes the door behind him and makes his way to Kelvin.

"Uh, no. That is not yet." Joker says, regrettably. When Joker responds the negative, Kelvin grew very upset with him. "Oh dear, not such a good lad then." He said. Joker's eyes widened and grew considerably pale. He places down the lantern and bowed like a loyal servant to him. "I'm so sorry! We're afraid the Yard may have pinned us as suspects, you see." Joker says, quickly apologising.

"Explain yourself." Kelvin said as he pointed at the cup of tea and the little girl held it up to him. He then lifted his other hand and held out to the boy. He stared blankly at it before taking hold and began filing his nails.

"It's all because of one of the new performers. He snuck into our private tents during a show. Unfortunately, we think he may have seen your letter with the targets' details. And if they are what they are, we can't just dispose of them, that would put the circus in danger. Honestly, I thought there was something odd about those two, but that child-." Joker said, explaining everything to Kelvin when he heard glass breaking. He looked up and saw that he had dropped his cup and was shaking.

"A child?"

"What is it?"

"You did say a child... Not one with an eyepatch, surely?" Kelvin questioned. He reached over and gripped the boy's head. Nearly squeezing his head as he stood, knocking the little girl over. Neither one of them let out a reaction. They didn't even utter a single word.

"Well, yes...h-he did have an eyepatch." Joker said nervously as he watched Kelvin attempting to move. He rose to help him but stayed put when the two children stepped up and held him from going anywhere. "And there we two of them, you say?" Kelvin asked, growing increasingly ardent by the second. Joker opened his mouth as he noticed that he only mention Smile and Black, he was going to correct himself but almost instantly he thought back to Kitty. How guilty and worried she looked when she tried to talk to him.

"It's been bothering me for a while and I don't know how to tell you. I'm not sure how you'll react." "You're kind. That's why I'm so worried for you."

Joker's voice was caught in his throat and found that he couldn't bring himself to tell Kelvin about her. Recalling that his letter was also mentioning a girl living with the prime target. Joker swallowed his fear and said, "Yes, Father. He was with a man in black."

"A boy and his butler?"

"The man did say he previously had been a butler." Joker says. Joker's affirmations greatly excite Kelvin, as he took a few steps forward with the help of the two children. But he was barely paying attention where he was going. He stepped on the already shattered cup and his eye was wide with mad excitement. "It must be him! It must be!! All this time, you fool, that boy you had under your nose is Ciel Phantomhive!" Kelvin exclaimed with a wide smile.