Wattpad Original
There are 3 more free parts

8. Oh Canada

June

The campsite was in chaos when Dom and I got back to it. Aaron was barking orders and getting things shoved in the van. Jack and Carson had gotten Amelia and Jerod into the back seats again and Carson was back there trying to get them to drink something without making too much of a mess. Jack was making sure the fire was put out and eating a bag of BBQ chips at the same time.

As soon as we left the trees and came into the actual campsite, Aaron backed up from the door of the van where he was throwing our stuff inside and shut the door. "Ready to go, Dom."

"Good, I'll drive," Dom said, and we all piled into the van.

Sitting next to Aaron was different. I had gotten used to Dom's quiet but solid presence in the middle row of seats, but I was at least somewhat comfortable next to Aaron since we came to a silent agreement back at the gas station.

Once everyone was settled, Dom drove us out of the campground and back onto the highway. We went a little faster than I would have liked, but not so fast that we'd get pulled over. I hope. With sunset approaching, we'd have some cover of darkness on our side, so I guess that would help too.

As we cruised down the highway, I watched the distant trees as they glided by us. I wished I had my earbuds but Dom had taken my phone back, and they were wrapped around it.

I sighed and turned away from the window to sturdy Aaron. He seemed very militant. He reminded me of a cousin I had. Very straight-laced and ready to watch over the group. Like... like a guard dog. Yeah. If Carson was a puppy, he was probably a golden retriever. So if Aaron was a guard dog, he was a Doberman.

I made an ugly laugh that I covered up fast, turning it into a cough.

"What's going on back there?" Dom asked.

I looked up to see his eyes meet mine in the rearview mirror.

And I wasn't about to tell a car full of werewolves I was assigning them dog breeds in my head.

"Nothing," I said. "Um, how far to where we cross the border?"

"A few hours. We're going to have to ditch the car eventually," Dom said, sliding his gaze back to the road ahead. "Then we walk across the border. We've got better transportation, money, and resources once we get into Saskatchewan."

"And, sorry I don't know much about Canada, Newfoundland is where?" I asked, keeping up the conversation and hoping to learn as much as I could.

"East coast," Aaron chimed in. "We'll be on the road for about forty-five hours straight, then the overnight ferry to Newfoundland, then drive a while, park the car, and it's on foot til the patrols pick us up."

"I hope we don't have to fight a moose," Carson complained. "I definitely don't miss the moose."

"Wait, stop, forty-five hours?" I clarified. "As in, like two days on the road? And another day on a boat and more travel? We're still three days out?"

"That puts these two at... yeah about four more days of this, whatever is wrong with them after we arrive," Dom said.

Amelia snarled from the seat behind me, and I leaned way forward, not wanting to be anywhere near her.

"I have work, oh god. Kat and I can't both be out of a job." I started to panic. "My boss is going to fire me if I no call no show all week. Dom, I have to have my phone back!"

Dom sighed, then our eyes met in the mirror again. "I still don't think you understand the position you are in or that you're putting us in. A leak about werewolves to the humans can be devastating. There are people out there who hunt things for sport, and I'm not talking about deer season."