prologue

the PAST.

"Jeon Jungkook, get your ass over here!"

The ringing in his ears stings louder with every second passing. The sweat creeping through his skin bundles up as his hair shares contact with his forehead. He was struggling to breathe yet that was not his concern.

"I swear when I have my hands on you I will-"

Jungkook didn't hear the rest of the sentence before he runs faster, with all the energy left in him. The muscles in his legs were burning like flesh, his heart felt like it was about to collapse in a moment yet Jungkook keeps running for the sake of his life.

His vision flickers, seeing the spinning view before him. There were two paths that will lead him both to safety. But which one?

Think quick, Kook.

Left. Pick left.

Every inch of muscle he had were screaming with agony and Jungkook wonders if he'll be able to even walk past this. The tip of his fingers can't stop trembling as his chest heaves up and down matching with the swift movement of his eyes.

Go straight. Left. Down the road. Past the bridge and onto the town. Go anywhere but backwards.

Don't look back, Kook, just run.

Jungkook knew he should not talk back. No, not at the big bully who practically made his childhood miserable. Not at the guy who punched his stomach repeatedly and left him alone inside the toilet seat. Not him.

Jungkook wanted to be brave for once, wanted to stand up for himself like those kids in the movies, but it was biting him back in the guts. This wasn't supposed to happen. He thought by speaking out he would get reconciliation. It was nothing like that.

The town was busier than usual. Jungkook was standing amongst the blooming crowd of town, where there were so many of sellers and buyers doing their jobs. There was music coming from a band, and Jungkook's ever beating heart gradually returns back to normal.

His bully can't catch him in the midst of the crowd. His short height was finally counted as an advantage in this situation. He was still at a blooming age of thirteen.

With big fawn-like eyes, Jungkook scans the people around him. He could finally breathe again. The kid twice his size was no longer there. He was safe. Jungkook was safe camouflaging within his town's people.

He recognises the streets, pathways and stores. It was his parents' favourite street to shop, Mabeob Avenue if Jungkook recalls. The shops are aligned in a curve, each building painted a different colour that resembles warmth. Red, orange, yellow, green. Like a pattern.

Jungkook chooses one store and heads towards it. The store had no name or sign above it, yet he was curious as he stares at the displays arranged neatly from top to bottom on a rectangular wooden table. Jungkook notices mould growing on the crevices of the wood.

The small rustic bell settled on the top of the door rang as Jungkook enters inside. The place was antique, each item holding a valuable past that Jungkook was much curious about.

The curious boy has never entered into one of the small shops himself. He was always somewhat controlled by his parents, from where he should go, what he should do or wear, down to his meals at most.

Jungkook takes his time to observe the scenery before him. Old books that still carries its scent, chipped vintage plates with thousand year old designs, antique china dolls that has yet almost lost its colours.

He moves steadily, admiring each piece of artwork with delicacy. His dark brown eyes stirs accordingly to the details of each intricate piece, his lips parting in awe.

And then there was Taehyung.

Taehyung, that was made of cotton, much like those handmade plush dolls fabricated by loving grandmothers, was squished between an ancient teapot and a collection of mugs. Jungkook feels bad for the plush, so he carefully slipped it out from the shelf, right into his arms.

"Enchanting, isn't he?," asked a voice that startled Jungkook.

The boy snaps his attention to the voice. A man of age, bent down due to his crimped bones, declares with a warm smile, which made Jungkook return the polite gesture.

"He?"

"He. It's a he."

The plush doll was wearing a sophisticated loose dress shirt, falling to the doll's fingers. Its butterfly collars parting on the doll's chest, twists of plastic illuminating the shirt with elegance. On the bottom, a flowy ruffled skirt was in sight, completing the whole feminine yet classy look with blucher mocs. His eyes, a beautiful dark brown. His hair was surprisingly faded pink. But one thing that catches Jungkook's eyes is coral. His lips are coral.

"But he's a man?", Jungkook inquires in oblivion

"But he's a man?", Jungkook inquires in oblivion. Shouldn't men wear suits like he does every single day and do manly things? This doll was wearing the opposite of what his perspective on men was. It was amusing yet confusing Jungkook.

The old man didn't budge nor did he look offended by the comment. He simply smiles and answers the little boy, "who says men can't wear skirts?"

"I'll take him sir," Jungkook announces and gives the shopkeeper the money he has left in his pocket. It was not much, but it was enough to let Jungkook keep the pretty plush doll.

"Thank you, kid."

Jungkook leaves the store with a warm heart. He lets the doll sit on the pocket on the insides of his tux. He knew if his parents found out, they would flip and take Taehyung away from him. He wouldn't want that.

Taehyung was his only luck of hoping that things would become different somehow. Perhaps it won't certainly happen, but Jungkook can imagine. Wearing clothes he chooses for himself, saying whatever words he want, acting rebellious at his teenage years for once like every normal teenager, everything Jungkook wasn't able to do. At least when there's Taehyung, Jungkook could look at him and dream.

"You look like a Taehyung," Jungkook giggles as he press his thumbs on either side of the doll's tummy. The doll's lips, which was stitched in coral, stares right back at him. Jungkook lets out a convincing sigh, pressing on the doll tighter and forces on a tight lipped smile.

"Taehyung, you're gonna stay with me from now on, okay?"

Jungkook tilts the doll's neck back and forth, implying it was nodding to his words. The boy grins, his bunny teeth popping out like a once-in-blue-moon occasion.

At least with Taehyung, Jungkook can dream.

A/N: send me ur thoughts <33