2 - JUST A GIRL

POST SEASON 1, EPISODE 17

It took Mara no longer than a minute to realize that she had no idea how to trace a phone number. She knew many things. She could surmise, with nothing more than a glance, whether a soul was destined to heaven, hell, or purgatory. She had the ability to tell a human being from a demon in disguise with astoundingly little effort. She even knew how to travel across the globe in less than a second. And yet, when it came to the technology of the living world, she was as lost as her customers often were in the rudimentary moments that followed their demise.

Despite her lack of knowledge regarding the materialistic aspects of the land of the living, Mara at least knew where to start: access to the internet. Thankfully, in the week she'd been observing the Winchesters, she'd witnessed Dean watching enough chick flicks to know there were plenty of computers in what was called a "internet cafe". Granted, the people in the tacky films would inevitably focus on each other instead of the computers, but she was able to grasp enough of the concept of an internet cafe to assume people went there to use the computers, as well.

The only problem with her muddle of a plan was the fact that computer cafes were much more difficult to locate than she'd originally thought. She searched through town after town, careful to never stray too far away from the Winchesters in case her plan went awry, and still had not found a cafe by the end of the afternoon. Mara had all but given up when she stumbled upon a dilapidated, old-looking corner building with a sign that read 'Ted's Computer Junction'.

She glanced through the grubby windows at the interior of the so-called computer junction. There weren't many people seated in front of the glowing computer screens, and the ones who were didn't seem to actually be using the computers. Instead, most of the cafe's inhabitants seemed to be captivated by a man who was drinking out of a glass bottle as fast as he could.

'Maybe these cafes are like the ones in Dean's movies,' Mara thought, raising an eyebrow at the peculiar lack of computer usage.

Fortunately enough, Mara hadn't seen any supernatural beings seated around the drinking man, or anywhere else in the building, for that matter. If there had been any non-human person, she might have reconsidered her plan. In order to trace John Winchester's number, she would have to take on a physical form, and she would not risk doing so if a demon of any kind was around to see. Reapers were not supposed to reveal themselves, and any demon who knew any better would surely report Mara to Azazel or Meg.

Mara watched her hands shimmer into existence as she took on the appearance she favored the most: a slim, blonde woman that reminded her of an actress she'd seen on a television set once. As soon as she was certain all her body parts had appeared, she pushed the door to the computer cafe open and stepped inside.

"Welcome to Ted's Computer Junction, how can I help...oh."

Mara looked at the man who had spoken, and watched as he straightened his shoulders and puffed his chest ever so slightly. She frowned. Every time she'd appeared to someone as the blonde woman, they seemed to act as oddly as the man behind the desk did, and she could never figure out why.