Wattpad Original
There are 3 more free parts

Chapter 6 (Kayden)

Kayden led her queen down the castle's main corridor, their footsteps echoing in the empty hall as they passed dozens of portraits of previous rulers who'd been beside Mother over the centuries. The pinewood frames that held each portrait were carved in elegant designs, their beauty hidden beneath years of dust. Mother didn't spare a glance toward them as she limped on, but Kayden paused at the very last portrait—the one of her father.

Even in the painting, he was a stranger. His tanned white skin, dark eyebrows, neatly combed hair, and stern expression were so different from her memory of the broken king charged with treason. After the Death Year, Mother had locked him in the dungeons, while everyone else believed he'd died from injuries sustained in battle. His only crime had been advising Mother to surrender before Stelan became a bloodbath. She'd never forgiven him for betraying her interests, even when he'd been right.

Three years ago, Alaric had freed him from his chains, and their father fled Freca and was never heard from again. Kayden had never seen Mother so furious before, until now.

Studying Mother out of the corner of her eye, she hoped the threat of murder in her expression would fade by the time they made it to Kayden's living quarters beneath the dungeon stairs—the last place people would expect them to go.

She should have known better.

The moment they entered Kayden's quarters, Mother slammed her against the wall, hands clasped around her throat.

"Stop," Kayden choked out. Her vision wavered, but she kept her hands at her sides and her weapons sheathed. "You need me."

After a few deep breaths, Mother released her. "If it wasn't for your magic, your ashes would be frozen in the ground by now."

Kayden didn't know what to say to that, so she kept her mouth shut.

Fresh drops of blood splattered the floor from Mother's injuries. Kayden guided her toward the bed. Despite her limp, Mother moved across the room with a grace that showed her true age. Physically, she appeared to be in her mid-twenties, but she was one of the oldest people alive. She was an endelea, her magic granting her the ability to live forever.

Mother sat on the bed, clutching her side as Kayden helped remove her light, leather armor. Kayden tried calling upon her healing magic but felt nothing. She tried again.

Still nothing.

"Well?" Mother asked, her words laced with impatience.

Her mounting dread turned into an avalanche. Kayden squeezed her eyes shut, but she still couldn't feel the pull of her healing magic, couldn't find that instinct to heal the wounds she had inflicted upon her queen. She wanted to, but her power to save someone other than herself only manifested when a person was on the brink of death.

"Your injuries aren't life-threatening. I'm sorry."

"Enough with your excuses and false apologies. You're the one who did this. Now fix it."

"My magic has limitations." Kayden took the vibrant Brynian quilt from her bed and tore it into strips. She started wrapping one around a wound on Mother's arm to halt the bleeding, and the brilliant purple cloth turned dark. "You need a proper medic."

Mother grabbed her wrist. "I gave you an order."

She set the makeshift bandages down, meeting her gaze. Mother's wide cheekbone was swollen from where she had struck her, bruises prominent around her left eye.

"You've never defied me before," Mother said. "Today you did it twice."

Kayden bit the inside of her cheek. She wanted to explain herself, to tell Mother the lies she'd practiced to hide the true reason she needed to leave for Leodia, but she held back. It was too soon to justify what she had done to her queen.