A Kidnapping and Suspicions: In the Eyes of Captain Smollett

I felt guilt eat at me as I saw Tom and Jim be taken away by Silver. There was little I could do as the Headmaster drag me away from the burning building. The rest of the students and teachers stood in a large crowd as we watched the building collapse into flames. However, something far away caught my eye. Silver was making his way to the harbor, two men carrying Jim and Tom. Fear overtook me, and I ran after them. Unfortunately, I was too late, and as soon as I reached the pier, the ship was already out of reach. Panicking, I searched through my brain for any plans on how to save those two boys, and my mind instantly turned to Livesey and Trelawney. Immediately, I took off towards Livesey's house, unaware of the figure following me.

    ***

    "Livesey!" I yelled, pounding my fists on the door. "Livesey! Open the door, damnit!"

    I kept pounding on the door until it was swung open forcefully, and I saw Livesey glaring at me with an annoyed face. The annoyance fell from his face when he saw my scared face.

    "Good Lord, Smollett," Livesey sighed. "Do you know what time it is?"

    "Silver has Jim and his friend!" I blurted out. "I need your and Trelawney's help!"

    At Silver's name, Livesey snapped wide awake and he ushered me inside.

    "You're lucky that Trelawney decided to stay the night," Livesey started. "I'll wake him up and then you must tell us what happened."

    As soon as Trelawney woke, I explained what happened to Jim and Tom as best as I could. Trelawney was about to burst, but Livesey held him still.

"I don't understand how the Headmaster didn't realize that it was Silver who was the cook," Livesey pondered.

"He does have a fake leg now," I replied. "But I agree with you."

"That man is nothing more than a fool!" Trelawney yelled, causing us to jump. "Livesey, I propose that you, Smollett, and I grab the fastest ship in Bristol and save those two boys from that scoundrel Silver!"

I was about to speak, but a knock at the door interrupted me. The three of us looked at each other in confusion before Livesey stood and went to open the door. Headmaster Jones smiled warmly at Livesey when he entered the house, not waiting for Livesey to invite him in.

"Headmaster Jones," I greeted as I stood. "What are you doing here?"

"I saw you running away from the building and I was worried," he explained. "I even noticed that Jim and Tom have vanished, and I was wondering if you knew where they have gone."

"They were taken by the pirate that you hired as a cook!" Trelawney yelled as he stood and stomped his way over to us.

"'Pirate'?" Jones asked, a little worried. "You don't mean..."

"Aye," I nodded. "Long John Silver. You must have not recognized him, and he used that to his advantage."

"I-I'm truly sorry, Smollett," Jones placed a hand to his head and sighed wearily. "If I knew that the new cook was that pirate, I would have had him hanged immediately." He made his way over to where the three of us were sitting before and sat, his head still in his hand. "But what would Silver want with Jim and Tom?"

Trelawney suddenly perked up and roughly began shaking Livesey.

"What's wrong, Trelawney?" Livesey asked, releasing himself from his friend's grip. "And stop shaking me."

"Livesey, Jim still has the map, right?' he asked, realization shining on his face.

"Yes...?" Livesey replied, confused.