Listen Before I Go

Hell.

What a short word for such an eternal place; endless suffering playing on repeat like a bad movie scene. The confusion was unbearable, even for all the lost souls who wandered about, purposelessly. Each one of them carried their own ball and chain.

Shachath dragged her black wings across the narrow aisle, scratching them against the moldy walls; she was unable to feel after all. She heard heavy steps approaching, but she was too tired to turn around or even care. She heard the steps... and the cane. Closing her eyes in anguish, she stopped. A cold hand rested on her shoulder, so cold it pierced her flesh to the bones.

"Papa—" She said squaring her shoulders.

"Where is she?" Papa Legba's French accent was enough to send shivers down Shachath's spine.

"I— I'm sorry. I couldn't stop them." Her voice cracked. "Cordelia took her away."

"You... Had... One... Task..." Papa clenched his fists and teeth, his red eyes shone brighter than ever. His tone was low and full of anger. "Why did you let her escape?"

"I tried to get to her, but there was something protecting both of them, something unnatural. Then, when I made contact with their world, they disappeared. She knows it..."

Papa Legba didn't utter a word. His hand fastened on the handle of his cane. Shachath looked down, ashamed and scared.

"You know what will happen if you don't succeed this time, don't you?" He asked. "I want her soul before that selfish bitch tricks her into getting what she wants. And that poor little girl her last chance."

"I will bring the girl to you. But— I want what I asked for." Her voice was low, as if she was afraid of reminding Papa Legba his part of the deal. "I have ended with a zillion people's agony. I have helped them get rid of their pain and misery... always wishing to get what it was taken from me. Carrying the burden of what I did. But it is time for me to get that back. Do NOT take that away from me, Papa. I want my lost son back."