{18}

It must have been late afternoon by the time that Brody woke up from his nap. He opened his eyes to see the sun slowly setting outside, the warm light peeking through the shades. He was wrapped up in a mixture of limbs and sheets, feeling warm and safe. He closed his eyes and pressed his face further into the soft pillow, smelling nothing but the irresistible scent of his mate.  

‘Why are you inhaling my pillow?’ Nate’s obviously amused voice whispered into his ear, and Brody jumped slightly with a laugh on his lips.

‘No reason,’ Brody said, rubbing sleep out of his eyes. He looked over to see that Nate was lying next to him, his arm wrapped around Brody’s middle.

Nate smiled that classic smile of his, all perfect teeth and dimples in his cheeks. ‘It’s nice seeing you in my bed.’

Brody blushed, ‘Shut up.’

Nate only cheekily smiled back.

Brody unwrapped himself from Nate’s arms and carefully sat up on the bed, his head rushing for a moment before his vision steadied. He reached into his back pocket, pulling out his phone to check the time. It was just after three thirty, and he had four missed texts.

‘Oh, and Kayden texted me before asking for your number,’ Nate told him. ‘Since when do you two talk?’

Brody shrugged, ‘We had a chat before I came to your room, I guess we are friends now.’ Brody had to resist the smile tugging at his lips, he had more friends at this camp than he had in his whole life.

‘That’s good!’ Nate smiled, ‘I’m glad that you two are getting along!’

Brody smiled back. He then turned his attention back to his phone, reading the messages.

Hey, I spoke to a few of the other guys, and I think I might have found something. Do you want to meet at the library at five? – Unknown Number

Brody assumed that was Kayden, and quickly replied that he was happy to meet him there after adding his name into the phone. The next messages where, surprisingly, from Annie.

Hey, are you free? Can you come help me with my history homework? –Annie

Pleaaasssseee – Annie

I will literally give you chocolate. – Annie

That was a lie. I don’t have any chocolate. – Annie

Brody laughed, pressing the call button.

Annie answered in an instant, ‘Thank God, I thought that you were dead or something. I texted like an hour ago.’

Nate sat up next to Brody, looking at the phone in his mate’s hand with a curious expression.

Annie, Brody mouthed to Nate, and his mate murmured an Ohh.

‘I’m fine. Do you still need help?’ Brody asked his mentee.

‘Yes! Can you come to the gardens? I’m at one of the picnic tables attempting to do this impossible homework,’ Annie groaned.

‘I’ll be right there.’

‘Thank-you!’ Annie hung up.

‘Where are you going?’ Nate asked, getting up off the bed.

‘Annie needs help with her history homework,’ Brody explained, carefully stepping onto the ground aswell, careful not to jolt his injured arm too much.

‘Why didn’t she ask me?’ Nate asked with a serious expression.

Brody burst out in laughter, but Nate didn’t seem to get the joke, his expression neutral. ‘Oh, you were serious? I, uh-’