Faith | Work | Love

"Tis' the season to fall in love," she said. "The snow is falling. The mistletoe is waiting. If anything, Christmas is when you find the one."

"Right," I replied. "But-"

"Just look at the movies! And don't get me started on Hallmark," she added.

"And your point is..."

"My point is that this is your season," she said, with a gentle nudge of the shoulder.

With a halfhearted smile, I returned to the unopened files on my desk. As the week-long holidays were just around the corner, I intended to complete the remaining work at break-neck speed. Alas, my colleagues often found their way to my workstation with invites to Christmas and New Year parties—none of which I had any intention to attend.

"So you're coming to the office party, right?" she continued. "You'll get to meet the guys from the other departments." She winked.

I sighed. If only the party wasn't mandatory—our manager had invited each and every person with a personalised card—I would've skipped out. "Yea, I guess," I replied.

"Great! Who knows, you might just find the love of your life," she said with a beam.

"Awesome." I gave a thumbs up before plugging in my earphones.

Oh, how easy I've made it for everyone to think that I was a Grinch. After all, I hadn't shown much enthusiasm for the holiday. But truthfully, that wasn't the case—I adored Christmas. I loved sitting by a decorated fireplace as the Christmas tree lights flickered on the surrounding walls. I enjoyed the company of family and friends as we shared a warm cup of eggnog after a hearty Christmas dinner. I didn't even despise the music—I would prepare my very own Christmas playlist in November. But things had changed—Christmas was no longer about faith, love, and hope. Christmas was all about finding the one. And just like she said, don't get me started on Hallmark.

If only I could celebrate Christmas the way I wanted to. If only I could make this holiday my own. If only I could return to the good old days—building a snowman with my sister, guessing the gifts under the tree, and singing cheesy carols without shame. And just as I thought about home, there came a ping from my desktop chat.

'Wanna go home for Christmas?' my sister sent.

'Flight is expensive now,' I replied.

'So you'd rather spend it with people trying to hook you up?'

I chuckled. "Are you going back? I thought you couldn't.'

'I changed my mind,' she said. 'I forgot what Christmas was like.'

'Me too.'

'I'll see you at home then,' she added with a wink emoji. And at that moment, I knew that she had bought her air tickets—that she would be home for Christmas, experiencing the very meaning of the season that had been lost for many years. This year, my sister had the courage to choose her own holiday story—did I?

That night, before I slipped under the cosy covers of my bed, I made up my mind. I had no plans to stand under a mistletoe at my office Christmas party—unfortunately, I would have to gracefully decline the invite. I also had no plans to fall in love—to write my own cliche Christmas romance. There was, after all, more to this holiday. And since it was still my choice on how I wished to celebrate it, I chose to do so in a way that mattered to me.

'I'll see you at home,' I hit reply. And then, to both my mother and father, I sent, 'I'll be home for Christmas. It's where I belong.'

(Words given by Caroline Guisson on Facebook)