[Vol. 2] Chapter 4: Innocent

Emery had wondered in the weeks before the trials why everyone on trial was allowed in the same room at the same time. Wouldn't it contaminate the results? Couldn't Emery, who would be on trial later, change her story because of something Jacqueline said now? Couldn't any of them?

Emery had thought maybe the State didn't view it as a problem: trials were decided quickly under the State and testimonies were always taken from the accused beforehand, so changing stories on the fly would just poke holes in what they'd already established.

But sitting in that room as Grandpa Al began Jacqueline's trial, Emery realized Jacqueline had been right: The dreamhunters had gotten their power from the overthrow and suppression of dreamseekers. Not only would they want to keep that power, there was no one who could stop them from twisting their questions or any answers they received to their favor. There was no impartial lawyer there to act in favor of any of the accused, and the jury was full of Hypnos State employees who were more likely to listen to those in charge than to one solitary teenage girl.

Four trials in one day? No problem. Just make all your decisions before you get there.

"Jacqueline Fenhallow." Grandpa Al peered through his reading glasses at a sheet of paper in his hand. "On the thirty-first day of October, you were reported creating a gateway into the Dream and entering it. When questioned, you denied having opened the gateway, traversed the Dream, or any knowledge or control over any Dream-related abilities you may possess. During this questioning, you may correct any false statements you may have made, and you will incur no consequences. However, if you are found speaking falsehoods during this trial, you will be held in contempt. Do you understand?"

"I do," Jacqueline said.

Grandpa Al sat down. Attention shifted to Moxie.

"Hello, Jacqueline," she said.

After a long pause, during which Jacqueline's imperial chin lift deflated, Jacqueline said, "Hi."

"We're going to start with a few easy questions. No need to be worried." Moxie scrolled through something on the tablet before her. "Is it true that you are the daughter of the American dreamseeker Gabriel Fenhallow and the South Korean Hypnos State employee Lee Eun-ju?"

"Yes."

"And you are classified under Hypnos State record as a dreamseeker?"

"Yes."

"When did you learn that information?"

"I—I don't know. My dad told me when I was little. I've always known."

"Were you aware before the night of the thirty first that the use of dreamseeker abilities is against State decree nineteen, established in 1976?"

Jacqueline cleared her throat. "Yes."

Moxie checked her tablet again. "On the night of October 31, it was reported by students Kristin Arevalo and Lewis Kowalski that you planned to use your dreamseeker abilities to open a gateway into the Dream for dreamhunters Emery Ashworth and Wesley Jager. Miss Arevalo, would you please have a seat here in the front of the room?" Moxie motioned to the seat beside Jacqueline, who had already tensed up.

There was a loud clatter from the back as Kris nearly knocked over her chair getting out of it. She wore a skirt patterned with daisies and a thick knit sweater, and her hair was pulled back with clips shaped like blue butterflies. Her rosy cheeks, normally flushed with happiness and her own rushes of optimism, now appeared red out of either embarrassment or shame. She smoothed her skirt underneath herself and sat beside Jacqueline. Despite the earlier comment, Jacqueline didn't look at her.