Chapter 13

Cassandra's POV

"Cassie, you need to stay away from that boy. He is no good."

Grandma's words rang in my ears as I laid awake.

I remember that day as if it was yesterday. That was the day I first met Xavier, he saved me.

I was in my first year of University. I was dating a college senior named Ethan, even though grandma warned me against him.

To me he was perfect. I should have listened to her.

One day he decided to take me out to dinner, he said it was a surprise. Even though grandma warned me not to go, I sneaked out anyway.

He took me to a restaurant. He said he managed to get a private booth for the two of us. I foolishly agreed even though I knew Ethan wouldn't be able to afford such a booth. And what did he do?

He slipped something into my drink. That night he was there to meet someone, whom he planned to sell me to. He was going to sell me into human trafficking.

Xavier happened to be there and he also happened to know the guy 'Daniel' whom I was meant to be sold too.

If not for Xavier, I don't know where I would have been.

A few years later, Xavier and I got married. I never saw Ethan again after that night, neither have I heard of him or Xavier's so called friend Daniel.

✧・゚: *✧・゚: *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

"Ma'am, someone is here to see you." Paula said, softly shaking my shoulder bringing me out of my thoughts.

I was laying in bed, my eyes closed rethinking my past life decisions.

I turned around opening my eyes to find Paula staring at me.

"You don't want to take too long to get up, she's not very patient." Paula said.

"Who is here to see me?" I asked rubbing my eyes.

"Mrs. Kingsley is here to see you. She's in the living room." She said, a smile forming on her face.

"Mrs. Kingsley?" I asked.

"Yes," she answered walking out.

For as far as I was concerned there was only one other Kingsley, Xavier's mother. Xavier's cousins and aunt wouldn't dare step a foot into this house, they not exactly in a good space with Xavier.

I looked at the clock on my bedside to see that it was already 08:36. I rolled out of bed annoyed.

Why would someone come this early to someone's house?

I walked down stairs in my socks, still in my pajamas.

I stopped in my tracks as soon as I saw her. My guess was correct, it was Xavier's mother.

She was looking at her watch pacing up and down in the living room.

She has never liked me, nor the fact that Xavier married me.

I exhaled deeply embracing myself.

She finally noticed as I walked in.

"Mrs. Kingsley, I'm glad to see..." I said walking towards her for a hug.

"You have no regards for a person's time." She interrupted. "I've been waiting here for ten minutes." She said.

I knew then I had already placed her in a bad mood.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't..."

"I told my son not to marry you," she interrupted again. "But he didn't listen." She said.

She gestured for me to take a seat.

I did that, I took a seat on the end of the couch not wanting anymore of her trouble. She sat on the other end.

She stood quiet for awhile as if she was looking for the words to say.

"How much do you want?" She suddenly asked.

"What?" I asked confused.

"How much money do you want? Every whore has a price." She said.

Of all the insults I've endured from her, this was by far the most insulting.

I looked at her stunned by her words, not knowing what to say or how to react.

"I've been through a lot for Xavier to have what he has now. I've made too many sacrifices for him to end up with a whore like you." She said.

She looked at me waiting for my reaction.

"Xavier's father left us when he was two, he left me for a whore like you." She paused.

"He left us with nothing. I had to move back into my parents house where we slept with a licking roof. I worked three jobs in a day, became a maid for the most snobbish people, all this so I could sent my son to the best boarding school. I wanted him to make something of his life" She said.

"Sixteen years later his father came back, he suddenly wanted to be the perfect father. Even after everything we went through Xavier forgave him. Turned out the old fool was dying and needed an heir, Xavier being his only child." She said.

This was the third time she was telling me this story. I felt sorry for her, I truly did. I just didn't see why this had anything to do with me.

"You see why you can't be married to my son. He's worked too hard to be where he is. You just a problematic girl with a lot of issues." She said.

"Melissa, I know you love your son and want the best for him, but I just want..." I said.

"Don't call me that, it's ma'am for you." She said.

She stood up from the couch annoyed.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to.."

"Just stop taking. Everything about you annoys me." She said.

She turned away from me walking out. Just when I thought she was leaving she turned around to face me.

"Xavier will never allow you to raise those children. He's going to take them away as soon as they are born. There's nothing you can do about it, he has the best lawyers and you know he is very capable of doing that." She said. "I'll make sure of that."

She walked back to the couch.

"Please tell my son I'm here," she said, a smile on her face.

I sat still for a while digesting her words.

As hash as she was, I knew that she was right.

I couldn't let him take my children away from me. I wouldn't survive it. My children are everything to me.

I stood up from the couch to do as she asked.

I found my legs moving without my consent.

I walked up the stairs to Xavier's room, tears running down my cheeks. I found myself standing in front of his door. I quickly wiped my tears away from my cheeks.

To my surprise his door was slightly opened. Xavier never left his door open and he always made sure it was closed. He liked his privacy.

I push the door open without knocking. Usually I would expect an angry looking Xavier because I didn't knock but what I saw today hurt me more than the day he divorced me.

He was in bed with two other girls. One under him while the other kissing his neck.

My heart shattered into a million pieces at what I saw in front of me.

This was it, I'm leaving the house.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━
A/N: Hi everyone, thanks for reading. Hope you enjoyed the chapter.