chapter ²⁸

❝ Like the moon, a Cancer is alwayschanging and is never the sametwo nights in a row ❞

Like the moon, a Cancer is always
changing and is never the same
two nights in a row

❝ Like the moon, a Cancer is alwayschanging and is never the sametwo nights in a row ❞

"YOU'RE NOT SERIOUS."

"I'm dead serious," I rolled around in my bed but my mom didn't give up so easily.

"But you've been talking about this ever since you were little. The limo's already booked and we were ready to have your pictures taken by Aunt Katelyn in our backyard in a few hours, and you already bought your dress and shoes and everything." She argued.

"I know, I honestly feel kind of sick right now." I lied and closed my eyes like I was in pain. Initially, I was going to say that prom had been cancelled but then she'd ask even more questions.

"Do you have a fever?"

"No."

"Do you feel nauseous?"

"No."

"Then what's the problem?" She put her hands on her hips and stared down at me. She always knew when I was lying so I had to really sell it.

"I don't know, I'm just really tired. School's been kicking my butt and graduation is coming up and my love life is a mess—"

"Is this about Mars?"

Whoops. Didn't mean to blurt that out.

"He's part of it." I picked at the dirt underneath my fingernails to avoid the subject.

"You're not pregnant, are you?" She asked sternly.

"No, Mom! Gods," I let out a horrified shriek, "I'm just stressed out about everything."

"You better tell me. Because Gods forbid he puts a baby in you and I find out without you telling us, I'll shoot an arrow right in the spot where the sun doesn't shine myself. And who knows what your dad would do to him."

"Mom, I'm not pregnant, we haven't even—" For some reason, I felt embarassed for admitting this, "We're waiting until graduation."

"If he pressures you to do anything you don't want to do, you better tell me."