Red Heads With Red Drinks

Mason's POV

Wow.

That's the first word that comes to mind when Maya opens the door.

She looks really pretty. Her hair's up in a ponytail, accentuating her face and showing her beautiful features.

"Mason?"

"Oh," I clear my throat and shove my hands in my pockets, "hey."

"What are you doing here?"

"I thought maybe you'd need a ride."

She slightly turns her head and gives me a small, confused smile.

"To the party." I clarify.

"Oh," her face lights up, "I didn't know you were going."

Well I wasn't going to let you blindly walk into Trevor's trap.

"A friend of mine is throwing the party." I say to her and she nods.

"Well, I was going to call a cab." She explains with a smile.

She should know better by now.

"I think we both know how this is going to play out." I smirk and she rolls her eyes. "You're going to go on about the cab and I'll just end up convincing you to come with me."

She chuckles and shakes her head. She seems hesitant and a few seconds pass before she replies.

"Okay, I'll get my bag."

She turns around and walks towards the kitchen. When she returns, she has a white bag slung over her left shoulder.

I move out if the way and she steps outside. She turns around and locks the door.

"Ready?" I ask and she nods.

Silence immediately fills the atmosphere as soon as we're in the car. The lack of distraction allows questions to gallavant through my mind.

What could be Trevor's intentions? Why did he invite Maya?

I tried to convince him to call her and ask her not to come but he refused.

"Don't you like music?"

It takes me a second to register where the question came from. I turn to Maya for a second to find that she's looking at me. Expecting an answer.

"I...I..." I clear my throat before continuing, "I do."

"It's just that you never play any. You don't even turn on the radio."

"Yeah." That's all I can manage to say.

How do I tell her the real reason I punish myself with unbearable silence?

"What kind of music do you like?" She asks.

"I like all music." I keep my eyes on the road. "Country, classic, pop, I don't know. Whatever's good."

I see her nod from the corner of my eye. She doesn't say anything more and silence settles between us again.

"Banks," I say and she turns to look at me, "have you ever even been to a party?"

"I've been to birthday parties." She nervously grins and I chuckle.

"No, a high school party. Like the one we're going to."

She shakes her head.

"Why are you going to this one? Now?"

"I don't know." I rest my eyes on her for a second. She shrugs and starts fiddling with her thumb. "Lilly and I always watched movies on Fridays and had like, a little girls night in. Now it's just me in the house. It kind of gets lonely. Yesterday I even went to bed early."