| under the lights |

It's been years since Athena stepped on Philippine ground, having spent five years of her life in the States. The sudden shift in climate was something she needed to get used to.

But even as sweat started to form on her temples, it didn't matter because it was overpowered by the excitement and adrenaline in her veins.  I mean, she certainly was back in the country for a reason.

Her best friend Mia was getting married that coming weekend,  an occasion that the Maid of Honor should never miss.

As she stood waiting for her company, Athena's mind went through everything they had planned for the days to come.  There were the lunch dates,  the shopping,  the sleepovers, oh goodness did Athena miss their sleepovers. Everything she thought about had her smiling. They were all going to happen soon.

"Molly! " Arms tackle Athena by surprise but the warmth that radiated off the person only belonged to a special someone that she had been videocaling all these years.

A light laugh leaves her lips as she regained her balance, giving in to the warmth and in that moment she felt complete.

"I missed you too Kev but please let me breathe-"

"Oh right, sorry. " The taller of the two lets go of the hug but kept her at arm's length, hands resting on her shoulders.  He couldn't hide the smile on his face and Athena found that extremely endearing. 

Kevin,  her best friend from college, former roommate, and the only person who she allowed to call her by her second name enthusiastically volunteered to be the one to fetch her from the airport when he heard the news.

"It would be cute," Kevin had said over video call "We could be like those we see in the movies, you know.".

But we aren't like the movies, Athena thought but she never gathered the courage to voice it out. Not to him, not to Kevin.

"It's great to have you back Molly," Kevin presses a kiss on her forehead and Athena felt that she was truly at home.

Before they even left the parking lot,  Kevin was already telling her about what she had missed even though he already did that the day before she even stepped on the plane.  She didn't mind though, she enjoyed hearing him run on about his day even if it was a story of a different shaped fruit he saw at the grocery store or how he had embarrassed himself by tripping in the church.

Athena observed how Kevin's features changed while he talked.  His skin got tanner which she believed was because of his evergrowing hobby of trekking, his freckles still popping in contrast, but his eyes... It remained the same, so did the little dimple on his chin that she loved so much.

Her thoughts were drowned by the lad's voice as his stories shift to details about their friend's wedding,  passing by the roads that Athena used to take on her daily commute to her first job.

Goodness, did she miss the Philippines.

By the time they arrived at Kevin's condo unit, the duo were already chatting as if the five year gap didn't even happen.  And that's certainly one of the many things Athena loved about Kevin.

Another thing that she loved about him was the fact that he still was her own personal stylist after all these years. 

They were meeting up with their old gang and they called for drinks. An hour and a half was left before the time they talked about ticked on the clock.  Athena was in a towel trying to choose what to wear and Kevin was whining that she should just pick already. But whatever she picked didn't get his approval so the cycle continues.