8

Warning! This story will contain no lemons, since I get really uncomfortable writing that stuff. However, I sometimes imply things and this chapter... well you get the gist. Sorry I'm super awkward, even through writing lmao!

*one month later*

The tiny sliver of moon hangs in the sky, barely enough to light my path as I make my way to the kitchen. I need water.

I try to be as quiet as I can, but I won't be surprised if I've woken anyone up. I'm notoriously clumsy, especially when I'm half asleep.

There'll be a new Greenie tomorrow, I'm sort of excited. Whenever we get a new one I always have a tiny hope that it's a girl. I don't have any issues with boys at all, but sometimes I wish had someone the same gender as me.

I rinse my cup and put it away, then make my way back to Newt by the fire. He stirs when I settle back down beside him, mumbling something.

"Shh, it's just me," I tell him, even though he's asleep. He rolls over towards me and opens his eyes, looking confused.

"Weren't you just here?" he looks at the spot on his other side that I was lying in before.

"Just needed a drink," I say, "didn't mean to wake you up. Sorry."

"S'alright love, wasn't really sleep anyway."

I raise an eyebrow and he shrugs. I open my arms and he scoots over, wrapping an arm around my shoulders and holding me close.

"You're the best thing in this bloody maze, you know that, right?"

I don't answer, just tilt my head up and kiss him gently, cupping his face in one hand and running my thumb over his cheekbone. When I pull away, he smiles at me brings his face down to mine, kissing me slowly, lingeringly.

"We should go to sleep," he says, pulling away, "we'll have a new Greenie tomorrow."

"Yeah," I agree, "maybe this time it'll be a girl."

"Come on, (Y/N), over two years and you're still the only girl, what do you think will change?" I shrug.

"Maybe the Creators will run out of boys?" Newt laughs, and I join in.

"Ok, Goodnight (Y/N)."

"Goodnight Newt."

As usual, the box alarm goes off just as the doors are opening.

"Newt," I say excitedly.

"Yeah, let's go."

We flock to the box with the other Gladers, all trying to get to the front.

"Coming through, excuse me, sorry, excuse me," I try to get to the box, threading through the Gladers to get to it.

"Hello? Hello? Somebody get me out of here!" the new guy (it is, in fact, a guy) has dark hair and looks around my age.

"Hello Greenie," I say, getting my rope ready, "welcome to the Glade."

The Greenie looks confused, so I explain that he needs to help us get the supplies out which he does, then climbs out himself.

"I'm (Y/N)," I shake his hand.

"Thomas," he says, looking around vaguely, "where am I?"

I sigh. "The Glade." I look over my shoulder to Alby, "Hey Alby would you mind taking this shank for the tour?" Alby nods and I thank him.

The rest of the morning Newt and I spend gardening. At lunch I find the Greenie and Alby, who have somehow roped in Chuck.

"Don't worry," the younger kid is saying to Thomas, who looks more interested in his food than anything, "I'll show you how it works around here, look after you and the like. You can count on Chuck you can."