34

Tyler

I stared at the spot Hunter occupied not even a minute ago.

Why would they just throw it on him like that?

He hadn't responded the way I thought he would.

He hadn't really responded to the news at all. It was like he was more fucked up about whatever he had to say rather than what he was told.

"Tyler, can you..." Mom started to speak, but I cut her off.

"Yeah, I know." I mumbled. "Go get Hunter and make sure he's okay. I mean, it's not like he's my kid or anything, but I do have to look after him constantly while you two ruin his life."

"Don't talk to your Mother like that." Dad jumped in.

"You don't talk to me." I glared at him. "She doesn't need you to stand up for her. She's more than capable of telling me to get over it."

I looked at Mom.

"Do you want me to get over it?" I asked.

She bit her lip and glanced at Dad.

This was new for her. Usually she was the nice parent. The one that took you for ice cream after Dad sent you to your room after dinner with no desert.

"What? You're alone now. It's time for you to play both roles because I doubt Hunter will be seeing much of Dad after he leaves this house." I said. "Tell me to get over it."

Silence.

"What're you waiting for Maya? Tell the boy to shut the hell up." Dad said crossing his arms.

He was becoming annoyed. They always used to argue about how Mom was turning Hunter and I into girls by babying us.

"I'm not." Mom shook her head. "He deserves to say how he's feelings. I'm not going to ignore his heart."

Dad shook his head.

"This is..." He couldn't even finish his sentence.

He just shook his head and walked away.

"Go find Hunter." Mom said quietly.

"I will." I sighed.

I watched her chase after Dad and wondered if she'd really sign those papers.

What would happen if she did?

Who would get Hunter?

If Dad said he wanted Hunter, I like to think that Mom would fight him on it. But I know my Dad and I know how manipulative he could be. He just has to catch Mom at a low point and tell her that things would be better with him. I also know my Mom and I know that she only wants what's best for us. She'd hand over custody if she felt that Hunter could do more with Dad.

I grabbed my keys and headed out the door to get Hunter for what felt like the hundredth time that day.

Amari