Two

Ruby walked into her social media sciences class and sat down in her usual seat. She began texting Kana as she waited for Minami to show up.

(10:30 AM)
Kannnaaaaaa, I'm bored. Texxxxxt meeeeeeee

(10:30 AM)
No, I'm in a really important lecture right now

(10:31 AM)
Oh come on, I know you have English right now. You never do anything in English.

(10:31 AM)
Well surprise surprise, Himaru Senpai decided to actually teach us something today. I think he got threatened he'd get fired if he didn't teach at least one lecture this year

(10:32 AM)
Damn that sucks but I don't care entertain me

(10:32 AM)
Go to hell

Ruby snickered at her conversation with her best friend and clicked get phone off as her homeroom teacher and the last of the students filed into the classroom.
Minami came over and sat down next to her, flashing a sweet smile before getting her things out. Ruby was happy to see her, thankful that she had at least one of best friends in the same class as her.

"Alright class." Raida Senpai said. The class quieted down as he spoke, and Ruby noted he was wearing his usual sunglasses despite them being inside. "Today I'll be assigning you a project. You'll work in pairs of two-"

As soon as he said that people immediately started looking at each other and he rolled his eyes, clearing his throat to shut everyone up again.

"Don't get too excited I'm picking your partners." He added.
A round of collective groans filled the classroom but Raida Senpai only went on talking about the project.

"For this project I want you all to create a new company and product. After that you're gonna promote it all over social media with the methods we talked about in class, and then at the end of the term in February you'll give a presentation. The rest of the guidelines will be on a worksheet I'll pass out." He explained, and it honestly didn't sound so bad, especially if they had the whole term to complete it. "I'll be pairing everyone up now. For today you can swap seats and meet with your partner for the first time."

Raida Senpai answered a few questions, none of which Ruby was listening to as she started thinking of ideas, before he started pairing people up. She felt Minami stand up beside her and shuffle away, and she wasn't surprised they weren't paired together no matter how much she wanted them to be.

It didn't bother her though, Ruby could get along with anyone really.

"Ruby Hoshino."
Ruby. was snapped out of her thoughts when Raida Senpai finally called her name, and she waited attentively as he checked his clipboard of names.
"You're paired with Frill Shiranui."

Ruby feels the room start spinning, or maybe it stops moving, she can't really tell. She feels her mouth hang open, and somewhere behind her she heard Minami gasp lightly. Blinking at her hands, she barely noticed as footsteps come towards her, and as she sees a shadow hang over her, she looks up. Frill is standing next to Minami's empty seat, her bag hanging on her shoulder as she stares at Ruby.

"Hey." Is all she says, and Ruby despite everything can't do anything but say the same back. Frill sits down next to her, blasting Ruby with the scent of something tangy but sweet, her silky black hair hanging off the back of her chair.

This project is going to be the death of her.

•••

"Are you seriously pouting because you have to work on a project with Shiranui?" Kana asked as they ate their lunch together, the others at their table ignoring them in favor of their own conversations.