23. Discrepancies and Revelations

"Okay then!" Matteo said as he leaned back in the plush armchair and smirked at Levi. "Let's start your interrogation."

"Where were you when Eric was dying?" Matteo asked Levi.

Levi rolled his eyes, "Oh, for God's sake-"

"Just answer the question," Matteo interrupted.

Levi let out a huge sigh before reluctantly answering, "Technically, he started dying in front of us when he drank the poisonous drink unknowingly."

'Okay... let me rephrase the question. Where were you when the body was discovered?"

"In bed, sleeping. Emma's scream woke my wife up who woke me up and we ran outside in the corridor. That's when I saw Eric's body sprawled there."

Matteo nodded, "And what about Carter?"

"I don't know how or when he died... yet. My natural guess is in the middle of the night, but we'll see," Levi said frowning, "You sent the body to be examined, right?"

"Yes, of course. I'm not an amateur," Matteo scowled, a habit which was quickly developing whenever he was around Levi.

"Well, I would have never guessed." Levi grinned.

Matteo regarded him with a cold, disapproving look before continuing. "You said that you were sure that Carter wasn't the killer. How?" He asked, "How could you possibly know?"

"The night before I revealed Eric's murderer, I saw Carter go into his room at night. I was just getting out of my room when I saw him go in," Levi began, knots forming in his forehead.

"The thing is, he pushed the door open. He didn't turn the doorknob. The door was already open. Which means somebody was already there in Eric's room-"

"The killer," Matteo concluded Levi's sentence.

Levi slowly nodded, "Yes. And I'm certain that the killer went back to Eric's room to return his anxiety medications to his belongings, so they don't get caught with it. Carter saw who it was... which is probably why he was killed."

"Why did you say that you were responsible for Carter's murder then?" Matteo questioned, confused.

"Maybe my fake revelation provoked a friend to kill him. But that is highly unlikely. I wasn't in the right headspace then," Levi shrugged.

Matteo hummed in response before realizing something, "Wait, so Carter knew who killed Eric?"

"Yes."

Matteo sat upright, "Do you... do you know?" he asked warily.

"Obviously," Levi said and then raised his eyebrows as Matteo inhaled sharply.

"Why the hell aren't you revealing it then?" Matteo spluttered. What is he waiting for?

"I don't have the full story yet. Something is missing... I just don't know what!" Levi's voice slightly became louder as he started to feel angry- He was not used to not knowing. "The thing which is eating away at me is that I don't even know where to look!" He said as he clenched his jaw, breathing heavily.

"I know who did it, there's no doubt in it. But, I don't know why." A scowl graced Levi's face, accentuating the lines on his face. "What did Eric do to deserve to be murdered? Obviously it's all connected, but by what event?!" Levi slammed his fist at the table placed between Matteo and himself.

Matteo's eyes were wide, his jaw slackened and was motionless as he witnessed Levi's outburst. So many questions ran through his own mind after the rant. The, "Who killed Eric and Carter" question being replaced with new ones. Questions that he didn't realize even needed answering.