Chapter Fifteen

Four days later.

Elu awoke to bright sunlight, and rolled over as she touched the bed looking for her mate. The bed was empty.

She sat up with a frown and yawned. Her eyes squinted against the bright light as she looked around the room. Thranduil had spent most of the previous day locked away with his top Councillors and guards and she had hardly seen him. No doubt this day was going to be similar in that aspect.

The covers swept back onto the bed as she swung her legs out and stood on her feet. Within an instant, a knock sounded at the door.

"My Lady, is everything well?" one of the maids called through. "May I assist you?"

"Everything is well," she called back. "And no, I do not need assistance yet. I am still resting."

"Very good, my Lady," the reply came. "Please call me when you need me."

Elu shook her head as she made her way to wash and freshen herself. The maid had followed her around like a lost puppy over the last couple of weeks, even more so since her union with Thranduil. It irritated her a little, while he found it amusing. The servants, he'd said, were there to see to her every need.

They annoyed her.

He was used to them, and kept them busy around the clock. Several times he'd laughed heartily at her grumbling, telling her that she should utilise their services. They had a job to do, and that job revolved around making sure that she wanted for nothing.

An angry glare had made him laugh more, much to the amazement of the maids and guards.

She washed herself and decided to settle into a beautiful dress which had mysteriously appeared in his wardrobe, along with the rest of her clothes. The fabric was a deep peach colour with darker peach embroidered leaves swirling around the hem. The cloth was as soft as the skin of the fruit itself, and felt luxurious as she slid into it. She twisted her long black hair into a tight pleat and let the tail drop down her back.

The maid gasped as she opened the door to Thranduil's chambers and stepped out into the hallway.

"My Lady! I am here to assist you!" she said in shock.

"Thankyou, but sometimes I like to tend to my own needs," she replied, as politely as she could. "Have you seen the King this morning?"

"No, my Lady. I have not," she answered. "Shall I enquire as to his whereabouts?"

"No. I will find him," she said. "I will be in the dining hall having breakfast, if you should see him before I do."

"Of course, my Lady." The maid bowed deeply and disappeared inside the royal chambers to clean them.

Elu's eyes met those of the guard that stood at the end of the hallway, and he struggled to keep his lips straight. On more than one occasion he'd heard her patiently but firmly tell the maid to busy herself elsewhere, and it had become a point of humour amongst those Thranduil had assigned to protect her.

Or threatened with their limbs, their internal organs, their heads and their very lives if they failed to protect her.

She tried unsuccessfully to keep her own face straight as she passed, finally resorting to holding her finger to her lips in a shhh gesture. The guard dipped his head in acknowledgement, staying silent. She continued onwards and headed down to the dining hall, where she requested sliced melon and a cup of hot tea. The servant who had been waiting solely for her disappeared with a bow and returned a few moments later with what she'd asked for.