s e v e n t y - f o u r

Chapter 73: Star-crossed Lovers

Caution: heavy drama dead ahead :D

* * *

It is a travesty when two hearts, at different intervals in life, find each other, and although they would be perfect for each other, they can't be together, for the timing isn't right

* * *

The light buzz of chatter was the first thing Sage became wind of upon entering his homeroom, and that made him paranoid. The first time something like this took place was an occurrence Sage would never forget, for that was the day Carlos exposed his diary and pressured Xander into punch Sage in the face. It was different this time though, for everyone huddled in their respective corners and peering at their phone screens collectively, too caught up in the recent gossip to pay much attention to him.

Thank God.

At the sound of the lunch bell, Sage scrambled out of class and hurried down the halls until he entered the library, where he found Randall surrounded by piles of books, and company. A German boy in the same grade as him, junior year, possessing messy raven hair that fell over his eyes, piercing dark brown eyes and facial features heavily caked in makeup, or other cosmetics.

Ben Meier, a boy that albeit looking very much masculine, acted like a girl - which was very ironic, considering Sage's dilemma of looking like a girl yet wishing he was much more masculine and bigger. Felt introduced Ben to them by Felt, who so tried setting him up with Sage; just because they were both gay. They didn't have much in common besides having negative experiences with Carlos, and so Felt's attempts fell flat, for soon after the boy found himself drawn to Randall, much to Carter's disapproval. From the get-go, Carter and Ben never liked each other.

Upon seeing his friend, Randall's eyes left Ben's and sprinted across the space to lock with Sage. Without missing a beat, he waved at him, signaling that he would only be a minute. Sage waved back and at Ben, but he was never acknowledged, only sent a contemptuous look in response. Sliding off the table, Ben gathered his books and sashayed away, after blowing a kiss at Randall and issuing one last warning look at Sage's way.

Yikes.

"S-sorry I took so long," Sage began disclosing as soon as Randall gathered his things and made it close enough. "T-the teacher called me back to ask if I could tutor someone."

The news caused Randall's lips to curve downwards. "But you're my tutor," he petulantly whined, causing Sage to shove him playfully. "You're not going to ditch me, are you?"

"N-never." And that was the truth. After months of friendship and being the only person who cared to look past Sage's label as the 'faggot sophomore, Sage valued their friendship above everything. He wouldn't trade it for the world, and although he'd gotten distant in the last few months, Sage made it a point of duty to let Randall know exactly how he felt about him from time to time. He vocalized his thoughts. "You're my best friend, Randall," then shyly, "Thank you."

Hands found their way below Sage's chin, tilting his head up. Normally, Sage would flinch and inch away from contact, but at that moment, led to look in the iridescent pools of Randall's queer, amethyst eyes, Sage found himself unable to look away, just like the very first time they locked eyes. A blush wound its way up Sage's neck, coloring his ears when Randall flashed him a charming, reassuring smile. "You don't get to thank me, Sage. I should be the one thanking you."